Exclude nudity from API searches

New Here ,
May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we have recently migrated from the Fotolia API to the Adobe Stock API.

It didn't take long before we started getting reports of nudity showing up in our searches. We look at the API documentation, and according to it we are supposed to be able to exclude this via the "search_parameters[filters][offensive:2]" parameter, and it is supposed to be omit offensive images by default. But no matter if we include the filter or not in our parameters, nudity shows up.

How can we exclude nudity from the results just like the Fotolia API did?

Best regards,

Edward

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exclude nudity from API searches

New Here ,
May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we have recently migrated from the Fotolia API to the Adobe Stock API.

It didn't take long before we started getting reports of nudity showing up in our searches. We look at the API documentation, and according to it we are supposed to be able to exclude this via the "search_parameters[filters][offensive:2]" parameter, and it is supposed to be omit offensive images by default. But no matter if we include the filter or not in our parameters, nudity shows up.

How can we exclude nudity from the results just like the Fotolia API did?

Best regards,

Edward

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 02, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the filter does not work very good...

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi P.M.,

I brought your issue to one of our engineers and he said the following:

Nudity is on Fotolia, even with the safe search turned on. It's up to the moderator team to decide what the threshold is.

Ask the customer to run the same search on Fotolia and the Stock website, both with safe search enabled, and perform the same search in the API. I suspect the results will be close to the same (not identical, since Stock uses a different USS).

If they are seeing very different results, have them send their specific query.

EBQ

EBQ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2019 0
May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wendy,

If I have the safe filer on and I search nude, I should not get the pictures I get. And I do not think that any picture I get when having the safe off and searching nude is really shocking. At least for my European understanding. The save filter could and should be more stringent.

Regards, Abambo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your reply,

The results on Fotolia and Adobe Stock are very different. When I search for "nude" on Fotolia I got images on the theme, but no nudity or "offensive" content. When I search for "nude" on Adobe Stock I get very explicit and quite graphic content. So there is either

1. a big difference in offensive threshold,
  2. the API-documentation is not up to date (it even says it will omit this category by default)
  3. or we are sending the parameters in the wrong way. (not likley since the other parameters are sent the exact same way and the work).

Please help us in this. We cannot send search queries with suggestions to our customers anymore since there is nudity coming up in the results, even in searches where you don't expect it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Today we made the decision to remove the Adobe Stock search from our website, due to the results containing graphic nudity (sometimes when you least expect it). The removal of the search feature will result in loss of sales for both Adobe Stock and us. We are both currently losing over 10 000 searches and several purchases per day.

I cannot imagine that we are the only ones that don't want to include nudity in our searches.

Since there seems to be no solution with Adobe Stock, we will start to look for other options on Monday morning.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi P. M.,

Thank you for reaching out to Adobe about your search results. We apologize for some of the misclassified search results and we are actively working to re-audit our content to focus on your concerns.  Adobe Stock is continually auditing, evaluating and improving our collection to serve our customers’ needs and we appreciate you bringing these results to our attention.

EBQ

EBQ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have solved it temporarily by internally blocking some of the keywords, like "erotic", "topless", "naked" and such obvious keywords on the searches. Now it works better. But it SHOULD NOT be up to us to filter this out.

3 big downsides are:

• Searching in different languages returns keywords in different languages, which makes it impossible for us to maintain the keywords for all the languages.

• Pagination is out of sync. If we request 30 images, then filter out (as an example) 10 before we show them, that "page" will only contain 20 images.

• We have seen that some photographers, moderators or admins (don't know which) tag their picture of a mountain-range with "nude", "woman" (which I guess is an attempt) to get their images out in more searches. So some images that are potential images that can be sold, are now filtered out through our very improvised and basic filtering.

I am chocked that Adobe (with their massive capabilities) does not have better auditing of their Stock library than their competitors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2019 0
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pegasusm2360209  wrote

• We have seen that some photographers, moderators or admins (don't know which) tag their picture of a mountain-range with "nude", "woman" (which I guess is an attempt) to get their images out in more searches. So some images that are potential images that can be sold, are now filtered out through our very improvised and basic filtering.

The one uploading the picture is responsible for tagging the picture. If you, as a seller, tag the image wrongly, you are hurting the image, resulting in less shows, resulting in less sales.

Clearly wrongly tagged pictures may even be removed and keyword spammers may be excluded from stock.

pegasusm2360209  wrote

I am chocked that Adobe (with their massive capabilities) does not have better auditing of their Stock library than their competitors.

Do not forget that this is a business taken over. As it should not be an excuse, some of the errors in the database are easily explained by this legacy.

Regards, Abambo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I hope it is like you say, that keyword-spammer are at risk of being excluded.

And I fully get that the business is taken over... but isn't it taken over (at least partly) from the purchase of Fotolia? And since Fotolia was our previous provider, I know for a fact that we didn't have any issues at all with this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2019 0
Abambo LATEST
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pegasusm2360209  wrote

And I fully get that the business is taken over... but isn't it taken over (at least partly) from the purchase of Fotolia?

Yes, Adobe stock was Fotolia before. I have, however, no idea what has been changed in the api since then.

Spammers are being excluded, the problem is more to catch them...

Regards, Abambo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2019 0
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started