• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to legally transfer an Adobe Stock Image License to a client?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! I've seen plenty of forums about this topic but none that really answer the question, I'm also in a chat with Adobe help and it is a useless conversation with no answer. I am surprised Adobe doesn't have a clear answer on this, considering a large amount of their users are creatives creating things for other clients.

I'm a graphic designer and I create book cover designs for authors.

If I have a standard license on an image used in one of my designs, how can I transfer that standard license to the author?

In the Adobe Stock Terms #3.5 it states, "You may use the license granted in these Terms for the benefit of one of your clients, provided that you transfer your license to your client, and your client must comply with these Terms and restrictions."

My question is HOW can I legally transfer the license? I wish Adobe had a form for this (similar to this one they have for transferring product licenses). I already know that the author will need a Extended License if they sell more than 500,000 copies.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Hi Brittany,

We don't have any option of transferring the image licenses to any customer's name.

The license ownership remains under the Adobe ID from which it was licensed; even if it was done for a client.

In your case, I understand that you use the license in a client's book and therefore you are looking to transfer the license in their name but what I can suggest you (because we don't have that option in Adobe Stock) you can purchase the image license under the client's name only (i.e.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

You can find additional information about transferring a license on page 4, section 6.3 of https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/cc/en/legal/servicetou/Stock-Additional-Terms-en_US-20210129.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brittany,

We don't have any option of transferring the image licenses to any customer's name.

The license ownership remains under the Adobe ID from which it was licensed; even if it was done for a client.

In your case, I understand that you use the license in a client's book and therefore you are looking to transfer the license in their name but what I can suggest you (because we don't have that option in Adobe Stock) you can purchase the image license under the client's name only (i.e. creating an Adobe ID which their details and then licensing the images from that Adobe ID) which will help you keep the license ownership in their name.

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that the terms now state explicitly that the license can be transferred to a client or employer I assume this answer is now out of date? If so, what is the method to initiate this transfer?

Standard licenses

Most Adobe Stock photos, vectors, and illustrations come with a Standard license. With a Standard license, you may:

• Reproduce up to 500,000 copies of the asset in all media, including product packaging, printed marketing materials, digital documents, or software.
  • Include the asset in email marketing, mobile advertising, or a broadcast or digital program if the expected number of viewers is fewer than 500,000.
  • Post the asset to a website or social media site with no limitation on views.
  • Include the asset in some types of products, such as inside a textbook, as long as the primary value of the product is not the asset itself, and the product is not reproduced more than 500,000 times.
  • Share the unmodified asset with your employees and contractors who have contractually agreed to abide by the license terms.
  • Transfer the license to your client or employer.

Source: https://stock.adobe.com/ca/license-terms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no change. There is no formal way to transfer a license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a student intern, I just purchased a free stock image under a standard license. I plan on adding graphics and text to the image and posting it on social media for my employer. Am I allowed to do so, and do I have to transfer the license to the company I work for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what you have here is poor communication, or otherwise, I wouldn't have had to ask this. Please consider updating your documentation to make this clearer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EBQ,

The ability to transfer ownership forms part of my contractual agreement with Adobe Stock and one of the reasons I chose this platform so I'm confused why it's not possible to faciliate?

You say there is no formal way - is there any way? 

Would I need to seek a refund and compensation for all the licenses I want to 'transfer' and then ask my client/employer to purchase all licenses from their account?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you licensed the asset for your client then you are using the asset on the behalf of your client. If you need the same asset for a different client then you would need to license it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can find additional information about transferring a license on page 4, section 6.3 of https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/cc/en/legal/servicetou/Stock-Additional-Terms-en_US-2021012...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started