• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to tell if a file contains compound text prior to licensing?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to illustrator and trying to get up to speed. My question is if there is a way to tell prior to licensing files in Adobe Stock if they contain compound paths for the text? It seems to be a real pain to find a file you like only to license it and find out you now have to go through the trouble of deleting all the compound paths and replacing the text with your own fonts.

Maybe I am missing something but in my head I want to be able to find a file I like, open it in Illustrator and quickly edit the text, colors, etc. and then use the file as I want to.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Anything with text in illustrator files will have compound paths instead of the text. This is by law as the contributor would not have the rights to sell the font. That is out of Adobe's control. To get around it all fonts must be made into compound paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

You can definitely download the preview of the file before licensing it to check for the details.

Preview is just a low resolution form of the actual image with the watermark.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything with text in illustrator files will have compound paths instead of the text. This is by law as the contributor would not have the rights to sell the font. That is out of Adobe's control. To get around it all fonts must be made into compound paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got, it. Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! I hope you don't mind me replying to your old answer. I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't most fonts download from the Typekit? Even if Typekit doesn't have the font we'd still have to purchase the fonts if they weren't packaged in the file. If nothing else, we could replace with a font of our choosing. It's so frustrating to have to rebuild all of the text... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started