• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licence infringement?

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found one my photos used to decorate the entire wall of a public building and I have confirmed the 'licence' was purchased from Adobe.  Who do I contact to find out if the licence purchased gives the graphic arts company the right to use the photo in this way please?  I have read so much of the licence guidelines but still cannot work out if this particular type of use is a breach of licence so need some help please.

regards

Pam

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Well, that must have been surprising. In a good way, I hope. To ask about the license, Contact the building owner. Adobe won't have any way to go from a building reference to knowing who purchased the license. But... you chose to license your image for commercial use. Why do you feel that using it to decorate the wall of a building might not be allowed? I see nothing in the standard license which suggests this is not permitted. What is forbidden in a standard license is "use asset prominently in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

The standard license is probably correct. 

The picture is used like a poster that is exhibited in your own premises. 

Print run is less than 500k and the primary value in this building is not your picture. 

Unfortunate to say, but this is the stock business and unless you get hired for shooting such a picture for the exclusive use of the building owner, there is nothing you can do, to get paid a better price. If You think that your share in this is to little, you need to leave the stock ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that must have been surprising. In a good way, I hope. To ask about the license, Contact the building owner. Adobe won't have any way to go from a building reference to knowing who purchased the license. But... you chose to license your image for commercial use. Why do you feel that using it to decorate the wall of a building might not be allowed? I see nothing in the standard license which suggests this is not permitted. What is forbidden in a standard license is "use asset prominently in merchandise or products for resale". A wall of a public building is neither of these.

The building owners might be interested to know the origin of the picture, and while they don't have to credit you, they might choose to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I guess you're right but I wanted to check out the rules as I'm quite new to all this.  I just think it's a bit rough that I get 0.99c for taking the photo and the graphics company get possibly hundreds/thousands of dollars to use it to upgrade a building.  I thought at least an 'enhanced' licence would have been required but this photo has only sold twice by Adobe and both at subscription rates (so I get either 0.66 or 0.99).  Oh well, I suppose I've learned something anyway.

Oh and yes, it was nice to see one of my photos used in this way.

Thanks for your help.

regards

Pam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The standard license is probably correct. 

The picture is used like a poster that is exhibited in your own premises. 

Print run is less than 500k and the primary value in this building is not your picture. 

Unfortunate to say, but this is the stock business and unless you get hired for shooting such a picture for the exclusive use of the building owner, there is nothing you can do, to get paid a better price. If You think that your share in this is to little, you need to leave the stock market and try to get hired for jobs to do.

Be happy that your picture has been selected and use it to build up your reputation.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started