• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licencing when using bought stock icons and adapting in infographic

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely confused after trying Adobe Help chat, so I'm here to talk to humans instead.

I'm a graphic designer creating an infographic in Illustrator for my client. I've drawn most of it myself, then I found some nice business people vector icon illustrations in Adobe Stock and would like to buy them (with credits) and then change them to fit with my infographic, for example colour, line weight, adapt into new poses/scenes based on the original style, so effectively changing them to something new, from the original as starting point. I assume as they are illustrator editable files this is OK?

My question is – does the basic licence cover this, but more importantly, is my client covered to use the infographic multiple times with my adapted icons in, or do they need to licence them at all and if so, licence them for every time they use the infographic somewhere new, eg on website/social media/literature etc as with photography assets?

I love Adobe Stock and want to make sure I am licencing correctly, both for the image creators and for my client, but it seems to be such a muddy area! Bit scared of doing something wrong.

Thanks in anticipation of help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

A standard license of the asset(s) will be good enough for your type of work, except if it is intended to be printed in more than 500,000 times.

You are free to modify the assets in any way you want (with very few limitations, that are probably not relevant for your application: creating adult art for example...)

You can do multiple designs with the same asset for your client, but when you want to use the same asset for a different client, you need to re-license.

The client needs to acknowledge th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A standard license of the asset(s) will be good enough for your type of work, except if it is intended to be printed in more than 500,000 times.

You are free to modify the assets in any way you want (with very few limitations, that are probably not relevant for your application: creating adult art for example...)

You can do multiple designs with the same asset for your client, but when you want to use the same asset for a different client, you need to re-license.

The client needs to acknowledge the license terms either by accepting the license terms as is or by letting the customer sign license terms on your own that are as restrictive as the Adobe license terms.

Please update this, if you want further guidance.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Abambo, really helpful and clear, very much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started