Selling templates based off of several stock images

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a photoshop artist and shoot my own stock to create templates to sell to other artists. At times I can't get some of the assets that I am looking for to shoot myself. I was told I can purchase adobe stock for this, combine several stock images to create an entirely different looking image and sell that legally. Is this true? When I look at the licensing terms I'm not sure this is defined? If this is legal, how much is considered "altered/changed enough" and what type of license would that fall under? For instance, can I take stock images of a rock, sky, castle and combine them into one entirely different photo composite and then sell that new composite as a template?

TOPICS
Licensing, Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Selling templates based off of several stock images

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a photoshop artist and shoot my own stock to create templates to sell to other artists. At times I can't get some of the assets that I am looking for to shoot myself. I was told I can purchase adobe stock for this, combine several stock images to create an entirely different looking image and sell that legally. Is this true? When I look at the licensing terms I'm not sure this is defined? If this is legal, how much is considered "altered/changed enough" and what type of license would that fall under? For instance, can I take stock images of a rock, sky, castle and combine them into one entirely different photo composite and then sell that new composite as a template?

TOPICS
Licensing, Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 09, 2020 0
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who ever told you that you can use other artists images to make your own template to sell is full of beans. Only your art/images that you created can be used for templates and then sale. If you don't have your own specific assets then either learn how to make your own vectors based on your concept drawings or go out and shoot. Its the only honest way. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2020 0
Abambo LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is probably: what do you understand by « selling ». If I’m doing work for a client and I’m using stock images, Im basically selling with my work also other’s work and IP in accordance with the licensing terms.

I could even wrap the Adobe licensing terms around so that my final customer has no idea of the sources of my images, even that I’m of that kind of persons who thinks that if the customer wants to select his own images. He can do so on his own. I voluntary surrender stock sources. My job is creativity.

However, if you take some pictures out of stock, mix them up to create a new work and sell that work again to different customers without relicensing each time the source images, you are in undefined territorry. It may or it may not be allowed depending on how much of the original work is still available and recognizable.

This question is a little bit like how much does a red car cost!

Abambo
via mobile phone.
Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2020 0
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started