• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Standard License OK for placeholders on POD merchandise?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Quick question: is a Standard License enough for watermarked placeholders/samples on POD merchandising, or do I need to purchase an extended license, even if the images are just used as placeholders for the customer's own photos and not as part of the merchandising design for sale?

In practice: for some designs on specific POD products I need people (e.g. military, couples, babies) portraits to work as placeholder for the customer's own photo. The images will have a prominently visible and sized watermark such as "Replace with your own photo" written on them.

In terms of the size of the image, if standard licenses are allowed: would I need to buy the license size that covers the final size of the printed item (even if it's not supposed to be printed) or can I buy a smaller size that fits the biggest size of the product image shown on the POD website?

Thanks!

Fiorenzo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Fiorenzo,

As per the requirement you have stated in your above post- a standard license works fine. Additionally, if you are modifying the Adobe Stock images, the credit line to the photographer also becomes optional.

I would suggest you to go through the licensing terms and restrictions Stock Licensing & terms FAQ: Where can I find the terms and licensing information for Adobe Stock?  of Adobe Stock for more information.

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any ad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I don't think I understand your requirement here.

Could you please elaborate as to what will a placeholder on POD merchandise mean? Also, what will be the final intent once using the license on your material?

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheena

I'm a designer on Zazzle and create designs on several items, such as gift boxes, blankets, greeting cards etc, that can be personalized by customers with own text and photos. On some of these designs I want to use visually appealing placeholders with mainly portraits of people, couples etc., that will be replaced by the customer's own photos before they buy that POD product. E.g. a memorial gift box with a decorative frame enclosing a placeholder portrait image, a birthday card with best wishes, some decorations and a placeholder of a person's face, or a wedding invitation showing a married couple as placeholder. All these placeholder images will have a watermark on them, as mentioned. The final intent is to use these licensed images basically as generic samples, at the place of the customer's final photo. The products will not be sold with these photos on them (I know, in these cases I'll need an extended license). I hope I explained me better that time.

Best regards,

Fiorenzo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fiorenzo,

When you say that you will have the watermark images on POD merchandising, do you mean that you want to use the watermark images from Adobe Stock for the same?

Please let us know so that we can further assist you.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Twarita

Of course not. I will purchase a regular license and modify it to my own needs. But being it only a placeholder for a customer's photo - for sample purposes - and not intended to be printed (and sold) on the POD item, in my opinion a standard license should work (I know well I would need an extended license if I wanted to sell the licensed image with the item, what's not the case). So, to make sure I'm not infringing any license agreements and the customer changes the placeholder pic with their own photo before purchasing, I'll put my OWN info text on the licensed image, such as "replace the image with your own photo". See that pet memorial ornament with the German shepherd portrait as placeholder, as example:

ornament.JPG

I'm a graphic designer and used with stockphoto image licensing (former long term Fotolia customer, btw). The question is plain and simple: may I use a standard license for that purpose or do I need an extended license on Adobe Stock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fiorenzo,

As per the requirement you have stated in your above post- a standard license works fine. Additionally, if you are modifying the Adobe Stock images, the credit line to the photographer also becomes optional.

I would suggest you to go through the licensing terms and restrictions Stock Licensing & terms FAQ: Where can I find the terms and licensing information for Adobe Stock?  of Adobe Stock for more information.

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Twarita, glad to know, standard licenses are fine. Credit/Image prices are also fair, so I'll be glad to continue with Adobe after my Fotolia partnership. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started