• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

using photographs as artist's references

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello- I do realistic drawings and paintings, and often use photographic references. I'll have a photo on one screen and then use a Wacom tablet and photoshop on another screen to do an original work on. This has been a hobby until now, but my skill has improved to the point where my drawings look enough like the photo reference that the photo could be recognized in my otherwise original drawing. I'd like to be able to find work as an artist or create pieces to show and sell.

If I was to purchase rights to a photograph using Adobe Stock, and then do an original realistic drawing while using that photo as a reference, would that be enough to use my original drawing in commercial work such as an illustration or say printed on a t-shirt? Or to sell prints or hang in a gallery?

thank you-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Hi Nate,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community. If I understand correctly, you want to purchase an image from Adobe Stock and using the photo as a reference you want to create your own artwork in order to use them for commercial work or selling purpose.

I would like to inform here that if you want an image from Adobe Stock for selling or commercial purpose you would need to purchase an extended license, however, Adobe Stock only grants a right to use images and does not transfer the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nate,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community. If I understand correctly, you want to purchase an image from Adobe Stock and using the photo as a reference you want to create your own artwork in order to use them for commercial work or selling purpose.

I would like to inform here that if you want an image from Adobe Stock for selling or commercial purpose you would need to purchase an extended license, however, Adobe Stock only grants a right to use images and does not transfer the ownership. Also, we do not offer exclusive licenses.

Also, the modifications must be major in order to avoid the credit line to the photographer. If you are only doing minor changes in the images of Adobe Stock a credit line to the photographer must be included.

For more information on the licensing terms and restrictions, please see Stock Licensing & terms FAQ: Where can I find the terms and licensing information for Adobe Stock?

Let me know if I have misunderstood your questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful, thank you. I'd like to clarify something if I may. I might do a series of say, wildlife art, with several birds or other animals posing against a background, all hand drawn and painted. I might like to use a professionally taken photograph, such as one of Adobe Stock's royalty free photos that I have paid for the use of, to look at while doing this realistic hand drawn image.

My final work would be several animals against a landscape backdrop in an original composition, while a reference photo I might use would be something like a photograph of a single animal. Not to brag but my drawings are realistic enough now after years of drawing that the pattern of light across the fur/feathers etc. looks borderline photorealistic despite being completely hand drawn.

I'd just like to make sure that if I create the worlds next great "wolves howling at the moon" t-shirt that people buy a million copies of (to wear ironically) or if I enter the federal Duck Stamp contest that I have full rights to my work. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nate,

Yes, you may use the asset as per your requirement provided you purchase an Extended license.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started