• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using stock imagery as reference for a painting - allowed? Which License?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Much appreciated if you can confirm if I buy an Extended License for an image, then I may use it as part of a reference for a painting (oil on canvas).

To be clear, I won't be copying the image exactly - rather using elements of it within a broader overall composition (eg. placing a model's figure into a background of my own design).

Just want to ensure this is allowed, and which license covers this use. And yes, the painting will end up for sale in a gallery, though not as prints.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Licensing , Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

As your painting based on the stock image is the main reason for buying your painting, you will need an extended license.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As your painting based on the stock image is the main reason for buying your painting, you will need an extended license.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo,

I was hoping you could answer a few questions I have about extended licensing for stock images.

I'm an artist/painter and want to use stock photos as reference photos for my paintings.

Can I use an image that I purchased an extended license for as reference for multiple different artworks or do I need to license the image again for each new artwork I produce?

If I sell through a gallery, does the gallery need to buy a seperate license for the reference images?

Can people who buy my paintings resell them at a later point or do they need to buy a license to do so?

If a magazine wants to publish my paintings and sell the magazine, do they need to buy a license as well?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Eirik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to know an answer from this too Abambo 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started