Web Development & Standard License

New Here ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this topic as being discussed several times but I'm seeing contradicting information.

Let me continue with this: Your terms of service & licensing needs to be laid out in a simple, no bullshit manner. I have a headache from trying to understand the legalese and fathom the situations where use is acceptable and use is not.

Anyway, I currently have 34 credits and I'm trying to figure out if I can even use them.

I build websites. I'm currently re-building my own. I use stock images as decorative imagery and for branding. I want to know if I'm free to do that. Moreover, if said photo contains copyrighted imagery that might get me a lawsuit under other circumstances, will I be able to use a standard license without worrying about it?

What if I use the same standard license for a client website for the same purposes?? Would that be "ok" or have I wasted $120 CAD on licenses that are only good if I "modify the images to the point of originality" or for slogging on some god awful social media website repeatedly? Do I really have to force clients into signing up to transfer licenses to them or will I be breaking the TOS and in danger of being sued if I don't?

What if my website is trying to persuade people to hire me to sell them websites that can contain Adobe Stock Images as decorations to persuade people to buy their services. Are these just web views, or have I just sold them an Adobe stock image??

...and if I have collected 34 credits and now want to decide that I cannot justify paying any longer because I should be paying $79 per image instead, do I ​really lose all of my credit??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Web Development & Standard License

New Here ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this topic as being discussed several times but I'm seeing contradicting information.

Let me continue with this: Your terms of service & licensing needs to be laid out in a simple, no bullshit manner. I have a headache from trying to understand the legalese and fathom the situations where use is acceptable and use is not.

Anyway, I currently have 34 credits and I'm trying to figure out if I can even use them.

I build websites. I'm currently re-building my own. I use stock images as decorative imagery and for branding. I want to know if I'm free to do that. Moreover, if said photo contains copyrighted imagery that might get me a lawsuit under other circumstances, will I be able to use a standard license without worrying about it?

What if I use the same standard license for a client website for the same purposes?? Would that be "ok" or have I wasted $120 CAD on licenses that are only good if I "modify the images to the point of originality" or for slogging on some god awful social media website repeatedly? Do I really have to force clients into signing up to transfer licenses to them or will I be breaking the TOS and in danger of being sued if I don't?

What if my website is trying to persuade people to hire me to sell them websites that can contain Adobe Stock Images as decorations to persuade people to buy their services. Are these just web views, or have I just sold them an Adobe stock image??

...and if I have collected 34 credits and now want to decide that I cannot justify paying any longer because I should be paying $79 per image instead, do I ​really lose all of my credit??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 28, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use standard licenses to build a website for your own use without a problem. The pictures may be modified at your discretion except if you want to use them in an adults-only-site-context.

If you use the same picture for one of your customers you need a new license. The same picture for still a different customer, you will need again to license the image.

If the same customer is using the picture on a web site and on social media and on a printed folder, you need only one standard license for this customer, given that the print run is less than 500k.

The customer needs to be aware of the limitations of the license. It's your responsibility to get the terms accepted if you buy for your customer.

You cannot include stock image in a template you sell. But if a client wants a website build, you can take a new license for a picture a client select.

If you have a subscription and you do not want to continue, you will loose all unused credits. So best is to use the credits on images you may need instead of needing to acquire them differently.

I hope this answers your questions. If I missed out something or if you need further information, please update this thread.

Please note that I am a user, not Adobe, so this is how I handle the licenses according to what is written in the terms. I think, however, that my data is quite accurate.

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 1
trev_dev LATEST
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty clear and simple to follow, thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll let Adobe confirm what you're saying (if they can). I just have one curiosity - what constitutes a "web template?" This is an ambiguous term as many, if not everything, is built on a template by definition. My own website is built with a static site generator. Is a template like "re-selling a theme over and over with one license that contains stock images?"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started