What license type do I need?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I need your assistance regarding proper licensing of my work.

I would like to start creating and selling artwork for music albums, flyers, movie posters and GUI design.

I don´t quite understand what type of image license I need for example when a finished flyer I made consists of 25 different stock images. I want to sell my work at sites like Envato or other commercial places.

Here is an example: https://graphicriver.net/item/happy-new-year-2019-flyer/22734244

So, for this particular flyer project, do I need to buy 25 extended licenses to be able to sell the flyer?

I won´t be the one to print this flyer, I am only the artist so, I´ll never know how many copies of this flyer will be printed by the clients. Maybe only one, maybe 500.001

And what about artwork which will only be available as web media (UI, graphical interfaces, music artwork for streaming services, no CD etc..)?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if you can do that according to the license terms of the sites where you post your work as you will be quite limited what rights are attached to your templates.

But if you are allowed to post the template, you will need extended licenses. The license terms are quite clear in this point and there is not interpretation possible: https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Additional_Terms_en_US...

Quote:

3.3. Extended License and Specific Restrictions.
(a) Extended License. Subject to your compliance with the Terms, if you have purchased an Extended License, then we grant you the same rights under an Enhanced License, in addition to the right to use the Work for incorporation into merchandise and template files intended for sale or distribution; without limitation on the number of reproductions or audience size (“Extended License”). For clarity, you may use, reproduce, distribute, and display the Work in connection with:
(i) electronic templates and design template applications intended for resale or distribution, provided the recipient is only permitted to use or access the Work with the template;

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, that means in my example above I would have to pay over $1700 for 25 extended licenses for one single flyer template. Meaning I am already broken after my very first project.

I really wonder how all the millions of artists can afford to work with stock images if they want to sell their work. 

This is just insane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite correct. If you incorporate the pictures in the template, you will need an extended license. THe good news is that you can use each asset more than once.

Normally, designers buy assets for their customers when doing work for them. That would be a standard license for each asset and the customer would pay for that.

I would suggest limiting the asset use to one or 2 assets and use always the same. That would reduce the costs drastically. And please be careful: this is quite important: provided the recipient is only permitted to use or access the Work with the template;

And btw: you would need hundreds if not thousands of templates to make a living of them. 

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines