Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substance 3d assets copyright / legal

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I’m just wondering about usage rights and ownership of assets on Abode Substance Source, more specifically the 3D models.

Im slightly confused as I seem to have found 2 conflicting things.

Firstly is a newsletter put out stating “ You can do whatever you want with the library’s 3D models! There is no limitation of use for any type of project. Marketing, commercials, movies, video games — you have complete freedom!”

Next is the terms, Im just wondering if the restrictions under terms actually allow you to without limit `use models commercially` like the article says, or if its some grey area / miscommunication between teams etc or even if I have misunderstood.

I have tried to find an email to ask this more directly. Once I did find one to ask, the reply I got back was "I am sorry but this is not the correct group to answer that question." So without further help from that source im back to searching for another email to ask and in the meantime posting here to see if anyone could enlighten me.

For more context Im trying to find out if you are allowed to download modify, texture then redistribute the models as part of a larger pack of similar themed models – for example a collection of furniture.

Also to what extent does a model need to be modified if at all and at what point does adobe no longer hold rights over the modified model? Or is it becaause the model stemed from the base, Adobe forever owns the rights?

I hope it makes sense, just looking for clarification or even an email if you know where to point me.

Thanks, appreciatly any help or insight to this.

We’ve added 2,000+ 3D Models on Substance 3D Assets! (adobe.com)

This is a link to the article im refering too, its half way down the page inbetween the drill and shoe pictures.

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/cc/en/legal/servicetou/Substance-Source-Additional-Terms-en...

This is a link to the terms im refrencing to, part 3 more spefically.

TOPICS
Discussion , Technical Support

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Hi Bradley,

You are allowed to use and redistribute the assets commercially without restrictions if they are part of a "larger works", which means a film, game, render, video etc. where it is not the asset itself being distributed but a different medium.

To be able to redistribute the asset it has to be made into a "Modified Work", which means that the asset has to be modified in such a way that it can not be recognized as the original Adobe asset. For a material, that means that you can use a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bradley,

You are allowed to use and redistribute the assets commercially without restrictions if they are part of a "larger works", which means a film, game, render, video etc. where it is not the asset itself being distributed but a different medium.

To be able to redistribute the asset it has to be made into a "Modified Work", which means that the asset has to be modified in such a way that it can not be recognized as the original Adobe asset. For a material, that means that you can use a "mossy brick" material, use some of the moss, add it to your own concrete material and redistribute your own "mossy concrete" that uses part of the original Adobe asset. For models it could be using the pillows from a couch model from Adobe and adding them to your own bed model.

From what I understand in what you want to do, you intent to modify the assets, so it would depend on how much you plan to modify them. If it is using elements that would be fine with the EULA, however if you don't modify or only do small modifications that would be "using the Substance Source Assets in a way that allows a third party to use, download, exctract or access the Substance source asset on a stand-alone basis". Indeed Adobe still owns the IP of the asset and only people who own a license to use the asset (people such as yourself who have licensed them on the website) have the right to use it.

Please let me know if that was not clear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources