Are there any plans for a Godot Engine plugin?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Substance is great. I really love using it. And the more I learn and experiment with it, the more I want to use it in ways people have never seen before.
But the problem for us has been for a while, Substance can do so much incredible stuff in Unity, Unreal and Cryengine, but all of these engines have fundamental flaws that just make them unappealing. Be it floating point imprecisions, lack of features, monetization models or ease of use for beginners just to name a few.

My only regret in choosing Godot is that Substance is not supported, which means that all the features that make Substance Designer so great are off limits. I'd love to just use the native Substance file format and tweak the looks through exposed parameters in the engine instead of going through the endless iterative cycle of "make change - load material into Substance Player - render animation - forgot to change file type/size of output/amount of frames to get the loop - render properly now - load individual images into more 3rd party software to create a spritesheet - save and import into engine - see new problem with the material - repeat". This is not supposed to be a rant, but maybe you can see my problem.

Are there currently any plans to support Godot?

What factors prevent you from considering developing a plugin? The open source nature of Godot? Does the cost of development outweigh the potential income from the Godot community? Does the community need to grow more before it'd be considered?

I really just want closure on those questions. I know it's probably not something easily answered. But I'm just convinced that a lot of people, even in the indie 2D pixel art scene, could massively benefit from your tools. 

TOPICS
Import & Export , Player

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021
We are working on some things regarding future plugins and we will be able to shre more at a future date, stay tuned.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on some things regarding future plugins and we will be able to shre more at a future date, stay tuned.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for Godot would be great.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks a lot for the answer!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines