• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not find wood cutting procedural material?

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I read this thread

https://substance3d.adobe.com/magazine/lost-in-the-parametric-woods/

wood_cut_tassot-1024x1024.jpg

I subscribe Adoble in order to download this kind of wood material. I need to simulate wood cutting.

I found in substance source Oak Wood Varnished

TravisNguyen_1-1648996234281.png

TravisNguyen_2-1648996275446.png

As you can see there no wood end (wood ring). How can I fix it? or other material can simulate wood cutting?

Thank

Travis

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The wood end grain is not a part of the parametric asset, but can easily be generated using a Gradient radial combined with a Gradient Dynamic filter using an Anisotropic noise as Gradient input.

LucaGiarrizzo_0-1649056361101.png

The result then needs to be applied to the specific part of the model you want, using a mask. Which part of the rings will be visible will depend on the UVs of the 3D model.

I hope this is informative!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It look like apply 2 parametric materials. How could I match wood long grain and end grain? beside that color?

Could  you please try and give more details.

Example wood block 100x150x300mm.

Thank

Travis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You may blend the two wood grains together using a Material Blend node and a mask. The mask would depend on the mesh, and ideally separate the sides of the model where wood grain differ. For instance, a world space directions map lets us easily separate opposite sides of a cube.

I have prepared a simple example to this message for demonstration purposes, which you can download as an archive file here.

wood_blended_grains.jpg

Regarding the exact size of the wood block, if you know the exact scale of the texture you apply to the mesh, then you can scale these texture so they match the scale of the model exactly. We are working on Physical Size workflows – see here how they were recently implemented into Sampler – to facilitate such operations in Designer.

I hope it is helpful!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See this earlier post from Travis for another solution by @davescm:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/substance-3d-designer-discussions/how-can-i-know-material-can-be-used...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines