Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creation of smart material

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was hoping if someone could help me understand how I can make a smart material with a texture shown in the image. I dont want it to have any colour as I will be painting over it but I wish to scale it in all 3 axis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Angle X will change as the number of ridges and the height of the ridges is adjusted. So you could turn that around and adjust both the number of ridges and the height using a function based on an exposed parameter. That way the user can enter the angle and the functions will work out the number of ridges and height.

When you have built your material, including the exposed parameters, publish it as an sbsar file and put that in your Substance Painter library. You can then apply it to your mode

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I have read your question correctly, you want a tileable ridged material in which you can control the scale (i.e. number of ridges) and height of the angular ridges.

If so, you don't need a smart material as there is no need to use existing maps.

Just a simple Gradient Linear 3, a transform 2D to rotate it and a Conntrast/Luminosity Grayscale node.

Expose the Tiling control in Gradient linear 3 to adjust the number of ridges, and the contrast in Contrast/Luminosity Greyscale to adjust the height of the ridges.

No need to expose scaling in the 3rd direction. Such a material will tile in all directions

2021-09-11_21-05-55.jpg

If I have misread your requirement - please let me know.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comment and help. Yes, I suppose this would work . I want to be able to apply these ridges to the surface of an object in substance painter. I am not sure how I can do that. Would I be able to control the angle "x" as shown in the attached photo (they are the same structure)?  I am new to substance designer and painter. It would help me a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Angle X will change as the number of ridges and the height of the ridges is adjusted. So you could turn that around and adjust both the number of ridges and the height using a function based on an exposed parameter. That way the user can enter the angle and the functions will work out the number of ridges and height.

When you have built your material, including the exposed parameters, publish it as an sbsar file and put that in your Substance Painter library. You can then apply it to your model's surfaces.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines