Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gaudi broken-tiles mosaic?

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

Do you have some other suggestion to create the base geometry for this “Gaudi Mosaic”?

If you look at reference photograph, it’s a bunch of broken tiles. And resulting pieces are mainly triangles and irregular quads (forget the circles).

In my WIP setup I use a VORONOI starting node. And it gives me a nice mosaic…but it’s not exactly like the Gaudi example. Voronoi tiles tend more to irregular penta/hexa pieces and very few tris/quads.

Do you have some idea to better approximate to the original Gaudi tiling shapes?

(Of course, is mandatory that pieces does NOT overlap, for that reason I don’t use a Tile Generator as starting point)

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Substance Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps something like this?

2022-09-22_15-36-51.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s an interesting approach, Dave! BIG THANKS!

But if you look closely to original Gaudi picture, tiles are much more near one to other. The boundaries are more “lines” and not wide black areas (caution: there are white tiles that could confuse you because boundaries are also white)

In your setup there is not overlap and we can force it to show more tris and quads, yes. But areas between tiles are too large, too much “black”. Not perceived as “frontier-lines” in fact…

1 Gaudi Tiles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a think about this and perhaps cascading 'Tile Random 2' nodes may give a better effect for your purpose

2022-09-24_23-10-26.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm, thank you so much for sharing that alternative, Dave.

It's an interesting approach, and it creates a very interesting patter (very different from Voronoi)

I will study it to see if I can addequate to my needs.
In any case, I finally created this pattern with Illustrator (manually) and then exported as PNG.

It's the file included in the scene where I suffered those issues, the one you also helped!

But if I manage to create something procedural, with you great help, it would be fantastic.
Time to study and I+D 🙂

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines