• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to increase + control the Normal Map Height Effect?

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to increase + control the Normal Map Height Effect?

I don't want to use a Height Map or Displacement map. Also, I don't want to use Displacement in the preview. I want to focus mainly on the Normal Map effect and find a way to control the overall effect on the depth/height.

When I look at the sphere/circle, it doesn't pop.

If I want to increase the depth effect and let's say the circle should pop out from the bottom of the tiles, how do you set up the nodes?

thanks for any ideas, hints, tips and tricks,
appreciate it!

PixelFun_0-1707242764121.png

TOPICS
3D View , General , How to , Substance Graph , Substance Model Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Hi @PixelFun,

Thanks for the question.

The Normal intensity can be directly handle with a simple Normal node that will convert a grayscale image into a Normal map.

From what I understand, what you're looking for won't be set up via the Intensity, but rather via the shape plugged in the Normal node. The one from your screenshot is a simple Disc, therefore you can't have a similar result as what you have in Zbrush. Something like Paraboloid or Bell is probably closer to what you're looking f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for example, when I use Zbrush to generate a Normal Map, I get much more depth information.
just by using that normal map inside of Designer, I am getting the depth effect as shown in the screenshot below.

PixelFun_0-1707244626809.png

normal map attached:

PixelFun_0-1707244765780.png

I wonder, how to create and then control the depth effect information inside Designer, just based on Normal Map information.

I hope that helps a bit more to clarify.
thank you so much for any of your ideas, appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @PixelFun,

Thanks for the question.

The Normal intensity can be directly handle with a simple Normal node that will convert a grayscale image into a Normal map.

From what I understand, what you're looking for won't be set up via the Intensity, but rather via the shape plugged in the Normal node. The one from your screenshot is a simple Disc, therefore you can't have a similar result as what you have in Zbrush. Something like Paraboloid or Bell is probably closer to what you're looking for.

Capture d’écran 2024-02-07 à 10.18.08.png

Regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, the only way to make the circles really pop (moving polygons), is with a displacement map. The normal will only modify the way light interacts with a surface without altering the underlying geometry.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril and thanks for your great support!

I need to make a shout-out here, I do appreciate that help (awesome community manager - yehaaa)

another quick question:
Is there any simple grayscale node, that starts with a basic grayscale color?
Similar to the Uniform Color Node, but just for grayscale?

thx a bunch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I appreciate those words.

There is. This is in fact the Uniform Color. You can switch its mode to Grayscale at any time.

Capture d’écran 2024-02-08 à 09.53.23.png

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bullseyes, awesome, yehaaa. Thx a bunch Cyrill and keep rocking!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines