• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I thought I found the solution for my issue but I still have it. (My model has weird UV distortion)

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

help3.pnghelp2.pngBut if I import the file from Maya to Substance it doesn't make my problem, but if I import the same model from Zbrush to Substance. I get this weird UV distortion at top. Anyone having any ideas for why it does this? I have tried every approach to fix this, with no luck and I simply don't know anymore what is the issue here. 

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , General , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Hello @Nardieloni,

Thank you for sharing these files.

Indeed, the difference in geometry between the meshes is the likely cause of the UV distortion. Moving vertices after UV mapping results in stretching, as the UV mapping of the impacted triangles does not update automatically to account for the new vertex positions. The distortion in the screenshots you linked above is consistent with the position of the moved vertices.

3dsmax_e2FOkHeXiU.png

chrome_dpVeL3DQoo.png

Generally, it is recommended to UV map the final version of a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Nardieloni,

Can you please share the mesh files as exported from ZBrush and Maya? I would like to compare their data.

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are here. The only thing that I have made differently here was creasing the edges in Zbrush and poly grouped the different parts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Nardieloni,

Thank you for sharing these files.

Indeed, the difference in geometry between the meshes is the likely cause of the UV distortion. Moving vertices after UV mapping results in stretching, as the UV mapping of the impacted triangles does not update automatically to account for the new vertex positions. The distortion in the screenshots you linked above is consistent with the position of the moved vertices.

3dsmax_e2FOkHeXiU.png

chrome_dpVeL3DQoo.png

Generally, it is recommended to UV map the final version of a mesh, and not modify its geometry afterwards. Thus, I suggest applying the modifications you require in ZBrush before UV mapping the mesh.

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, I usually make my UVs in Maya when it comes to modular due how little control I have of the model in Zbrush, but I will keep this in mind with future projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines