Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

make defects on the edges

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

Can you point me to a tutorial for the Substance designer to make defects on the edges of an object?
as the plugin for unreal from the link :

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/edge-bevel-decals

thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Hello Abilio,

I can't think of a tutorial on this topic, but this is indeed possible. In fact, you probably already saw some videos about wearing edges with Substance Painter, and these workflow are heavily based on Smart Masks that are built with Substance Designer.

The thing is, as a way to mask the edges, Designer needs info to locate them on the 3D model. You could use the Edge Detect node on your UV map for example, which will highlight the border of the UV islands, but the most useful

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abilio5EC9_0-1693698400652.jpeg

as in the image what I want to do are wear on the corners of the objects by normal map or by displacement .

it's possible ?
do you have a tutorial?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abilio,

I can't think of a tutorial on this topic, but this is indeed possible. In fact, you probably already saw some videos about wearing edges with Substance Painter, and these workflow are heavily based on Smart Masks that are built with Substance Designer.

The thing is, as a way to mask the edges, Designer needs info to locate them on the 3D model. You could use the Edge Detect node on your UV map for example, which will highlight the border of the UV islands, but the most useful workflow would be to bake mesh maps, in order to use those (especially the curvature) for building the masks on the edges.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

How should I proceed so that the node: edge select does not get fragmented as in the image?
and how can I smooth its edges?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check the node parameters. It has multiple settings which will help to define the mask according to your needs. You can also add a blur node, in order to smooth the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make bevel/fillet on the corners of an object like it happens in blender materials?

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bevel node from Blender doesn't really affect the textures, therefore we don't have this kind of node in our library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bevel node for the material in Blender that I'm talking about is this one from the link:

https://www.artstation.com/blogs/keos/GB7G/did-you-know-that-blender-also-has-bevel-shader-support

Does substance designer have this feature?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Substance painter doesn't have this kind of feature. The bevel node from blender isn't affecting the textures (from what I can see), but directly the Normals in the shader.

Currently our shaders in Designer doesn't support this kind of behavior, and you can only modify/build texture maps.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines