Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My iMac freeze and automatically restart with this Designer graph

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I’m extremely worried with this Designer scene (attached)

Working on it I have suffered, for 2 times, a completely freeze and restart of my iMac (!!!)

Never occurred this before in the past 2 months, since I started learning and working with Designer.

There is a 8K PNG external resource (attached)

And I also use some custom nodes by Maxime Guyard: https://www.artstation.com/nova__12/store 

Specifically “Non Uniform Transform” and also various “Better Flood Fill to…”

Could be these ones the cause for this?

The first completely freeze and restart occurred jus changing my top resolution from 2048 to 4096

Once the iMac restarted it continued with the fans at top speed for a time. So much that I decided to shut down.

The second time I opened again the scene. Not problem initially… exported Base Color as PNG… fine, and sometime later, again, the iMac freezed and restarted.

I opened some giant scenes from Jonathan Benainous, to study and learning, and not problems like this arises (even changing resolution to higher ratios)

It’s really annoying, since this means that I can not continue working on this?

Any ideas? Please, help.

THANKS!

MY SPECS:

macOS Monterey 12.5.1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4,2 GHz Intel Core i7 de 4 cores

64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Substance Engine: Open GL

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: by removing another custom node, “Cracks Generator” https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zREaD  I can change from 2048 to 4096 using the top bar.

But with that “Cracks Generator” in my scene, trying to change from 2k to 4k it freezes/restart my iMac or at least Designer closes without notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: by removing another custom node, “Cracks Generator” https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zREaD 

I can change from 2048 to 4096 using the top bar.

But with that “Cracks Generator” in my scene, trying to change from 2k to 4k it freezes my computer or restart or at least Designer close without notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've just tried your file here without any issues, although it is missing a resource 'Bruno Cracks Generator'. I switched parent size between 2k, 4k and 8k all without issues.

My system Windows 10, i9-10920X, 256GB RAM, RTX3090 24GBVRAM

Substance Designer at 8Kx8k is using 7.4GB VRAM and 23.7GB RAM (VRAM peaked at 8GB while switching to 8K and rendering)

Substance Designer Version 12.2.1 Engine Direct 3D11 8.6.2

On a modern operating system, an application cannot usually crash the OS, but a driver can. I use Windows PCs here but as far as I'm aware on Macs the drivers are delivered with OS updates. You may want to check if an update is available.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Dave,

Thanks again for your help with this issue.

Sorry about not include all dependencies (I'm a noob with Designer, just a couple months with it)

There was, in fact, 3 resources I didn't included (apart from the 8k PNG image):

Better Flood Fill to.sbsar

Non Uniform Transform.sbsar

Bruno_Cracks_Generator.sbsar

(all are free, downloaded from ArtStation)

I have the suspiccion it could be a problem with Bruno_Cracks_Generator.sbsar, because it was just after adding it when I started to have issues.

Now I have removed it from my scene (and I also downsized my PNG from 8K to 2K) and all seems stable. Cross my fingers.

Here is the original file (the one with problems) exported to include all dependencies. Shared through WeTransfer, since these forums does not allow ZIP files… Just in case you want to study it…

https://we.tl/t-QhlorkJDyR 

Thanks again for your continuous support!
Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines