Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing my (pixelized) Sinewave generator

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang,

Over the past few weeks I've been very pre-occupied with 'Designer', even managed to help out my gf by providing a home made texture generator for some of her clothing assets. She actually started the idea for this small project of mine: getting a sine wave and use that to generate some flower-type shapes. So one thing led to another...

I'm aware of 'Waveform 1', but that's not what I was looking for. I also saw some interesting examples online but from what I can tell most people never bother with generating a waveform but they rather constructed the shape themselves to which they then applied some variations.

So I got to work...  focused my attention on the FX Map node, which turned out to become a whole study in itself, and this is the result.

About the generator

It generates a pixelized waveform, that's the default.

However...  it also provides you with some controls; there are 2 sections: the generation control allows you to switch between the static & dynamic texture; the other controls can be used to customize said dynamic texture: frequency, amplitude and the 'thickness' of the shape.

The second control section allows you to filter the waveform; smoothening it out and also the brightness can be adjusted.

It's not perfect (IMO) and also still a bit of work in progress but even so this is usable. Might also make for a nice example of using an FX Map to generate a specific shape of your own. Speaking of which: the "secret" behind this is simple: let the quadrant node generate a single pixel and then apply an x amount of iterations (32 by default) to draw out the shape using a function (obviously).

I could have embedded the function within the value processor into the quadrant node but kept it like this to keep things more managable (now I know what things do, but in 3 - 4 months time?). It's obvious that the value processor is...  processing a value (no pun intended) to be used within the fx-map; it's basically my interface between a "1 2 3 setting" and the actually required value.

Alas, hope this is useful for some of you. I made sure to allow exposure so you should be able to look into the graphic sources if you so desire. If not let me know, then I'll dump the sbs file as well.

Edit: Well, seems I made a wrong assumption... when I tested my own .sbsar file I noticed that things did work, but it was also my intendion to share my graph itself as well. So in the mean time I replaced my archive with the .sbs file, hope you can enjoy.

TOPICS
Showcase , Substance Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing.

Here's an alternative using the pixel processor with control over amplitude , frequency and line thickness

2022-11-08_21-55-47.jpg2022-11-08_21-56-07.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave, very much appreciated.

The pixel processor is a node I'm still trying to learn and get my fingers behind, and from what I'm seeing so far this is definitely going to provide for a solid example that can actually be debugged, traced and thus help to get a good overview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines