• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does height map displacement appear warped with a cube mesh?

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed when using a cube to preview my material in Substance Designer that the bevel I apply looks quite warped at certain angles. If I switch to a rounded cube or cylinder however, everything looks clear and sharp. 

I was curious as to why this is? Is it related to the geometry of the mesh? When I export this and use it in other programs will I encounter similar issues?

Screenshot: 

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 3.11.26 pm.png

TOPICS
Substance Graph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Indeed, the issue is related to the geometry of the mesh. If the mesh does not have enough vertex density, a higher subdivision count is required to model the details provided by the height map.

Even then, this cube mesh has a single polyon on each side, which means even with subdivision the resulting geometry may not be fit for purpose.

You may refer to this thread for a primer on tessellation displacement. Let me know if you need further information, I will be happy to provide!

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Additionally, you may refer to the 3D object is flat section in this page of our documentation.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines