• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

A normal map used as a stencil does not accept transparency.

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the map normal as a stencil. The map has transparency. The layer blend function is set to normal.

The problem is that Substance Painter ignores the transparency of the normal map. It paints an element, but it also removes normal information from the layer below where the stencil should be transparent.

This problem does not exist with map alebedo, or hight. These maps accept transparency.

Using a stencil that has transparency and normal maps, is impossible. If the object is complex, like an ornament. The normal information from the layer below is removed where it should be, i.e. where the stencil is transparent.

It looks like a bug, especially that other maps (color, hight) accentuate transparency.

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue with Metallic stencils, until I tried to import as Alpha, then the issue was resolved. Assets that are imported as "texture" and "alpha" behave differently, regardless of the alpha channel the texture has (alpha shows in Assets and Viewport for Texture assets)

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 19.05.31.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing normal as alpha does not change this.

It looks like in places where normal should be transparent it paints in neutral value removing information from lower layers.

Strange, maybe someone from Substance can comment on this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Could you show what you are trying to do in Painter with a video? I'm having trouble understanding what is your goal.

Kind Regards,

Geoffroy SC

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources