• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACES - Incorrect Texture Export With EXR

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have this problem that is currently giving me anxiety and sleepless nights (and anger issues).

I recently started using ACES for a project with a group of friends, and we are using Adobe Substance 3D Painter v8.1.0 with OCIO 1.0 and ACES 1.2, we tried to set up everything through this guide:

https://mrlixm.github.io/blog/substance-painter-color-management/#aces-workflow

at the "ACES -Output" section, it says that the best workflow is to export everything with exr because "Color channel will be exported in ACEScg while scalar channels will bypass any color-transform encoding"

when i was going to export i, indeed, saw that everything was going like the guide instructions:

--the color channels (Base color and Emissive) were setted on ACES - ACEScg

--all the others data channels were setted on Utility - Raw

Once all the textures were on my desktop:

the color of  the Base_Color texture was a bit lighter, and that's correct, because i exported them with ACES - ACEScg..

but WHY all the other textures are lighter too! i can clearly can see they are exported as Utility - Raw, they should look like i see them on my display! (right? because with 8 bit they look like it)

they change their color because of the 32bit exr's depth? but what i should do then? the guide is wrong?

should i keep all the other maps like metallic,height,roughness and normals, as exr 32 bit and more light colored?

won't the Utility-Raw 32bit exr maps change the result on Maya/Arnold from using the Utility-Raw 8/16 bit tif maps?

i really don't know what i should do..

thank you so much

TOPICS
Color Management , Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Working in OCIO means you are in a color-managed environment. When you view the files on your desktop you are not in a color-managed environment and so the files will not display properly. You need to view the files in other software under the same OCIO config for them to look the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Working in OCIO means you are in a color-managed environment. When you view the files on your desktop you are not in a color-managed environment and so the files will not display properly. You need to view the files in other software under the same OCIO config for them to look the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources