Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alembic Texture Sets

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Substance Painter docs state that

Substance 3D Painter will automatically create a new Texture Set each time it finds a material ID on an imported mesh

but it does not find any materials when imporing Alembic caches. Right now, I'll only get a single "DefaultMaterial" texture set.

How should I prepare Alembic geometry when exporting from Houdini, Maya, Blender, ... to make it work?

Thanks! Michael

TOPICS
Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, I found a way: I had assigned the materials to "Packed Alembics" in Houdini and that didn't make it through the Alembic exporter ROP. After adding "Unpack" and "Convert" SOPs, the ROP did include the material assignments and the cache is correctly interpreted by Substance Painter. Yay! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also get correct texture sets from Blender Alembic caches with "Face Sets" enabled during export.

No luck with Maya though: With "Write Face Sets" enabled, Substance Painter will detect face sets from materials assigned to faces but not materials assigned to objects.

Should we assign all materials on a per-face level before export? Is there a recommended way to do that (maybe via a script)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources