• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I import additional geometry into an existing painter project?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a large texturing project. I am 85% done and I need to add some additional geometry to the file. Do I need to add the new geometry to the existing in a program like Max or Maya and bring the entire thing into Painter again or is there a way to import just the new pieces into Painter (into my existing project)?

TIA

Dean

TOPICS
Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to modify the mesh outside Painter and then in Project Configuration you reload the new mesh by selecting the mesh and clicking ok:

CedricMarchessoux_0-1646821203516.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the method above works, but then there is a default behavior thats very frustrating: How do you stop Substance from adding the new obj /s into every single existing layer?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your mesh has one Texture Set in one UV space [0,1] then it belongs to the same Layer Stack.
Several options :
1 Split your mesh in several Texture Sets using a modeling software by assigning one material per Texture Set and then import in Painter, that way each part will have a dedicated Layer Stack.
2 Masking:
a. If your mesh has subparts, then in Painter use the Geometry Mask to not apply your texturing to the parts you do not want 
https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/geometry-mask-197427754.html
b. Make an ID map, by creating IDs in the modeling software, then bake the ID Map in Painter, and then use it with color selection to create your mask
Several tutorials exist: here one with Maya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0pG2PJIqI
c. Organize your mesh in the modeling software with UDIMs and use the UVTile workflow in Painter:
https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/uv-tiles-197427749.html

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources