• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color-picker doesn't behave consistent across OCIO configs.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Using Substance-Painter version 7.4 - Windows)

Hello,

Since the latest big release 7.4 that introduce OCIO, it seems that the color-picker "picking" function doesn't work as excepted when using OCIO as a color-management system. The result vary depending of the OCIO config being used. Unfortunately there is no OCIO config that make it work in all the cases :

Here are my hypothesis :

Case 1

You are using an OCIO v2 config that uses Display colorspaces and Shared Views (OCIO v2 new features) :

The picker take the value at the display (after the view-transform is applied) and return it. This only work when there is no view-transform, i.e. is it is disabled or use a display with a "passtrough/raw" encoding. If you are viewing color data with the proper view-transform, the picked value will not correspond to the original value you used.

Case 2

You are using an OCIO v1 config or v2 without the new features : The picker take the value at display (with the view-transform), then apply an inverse display transform. It pick the default one, i.e. the first defined in the config or in the active_displays key. And as the sliders don't go above 1, the result is clamped between the 0-1 range.

To come to these conclusions, I executed a bunch of tests with various OCIO configs.

You can find them here: https://liamcollod.notion.site/Substance-Painter-Color-Picker-Issue-1d1cdeeb0e2846ba977ebc453e5ae56b 

I don't really know what is the actually issue but I can tell for sure that there is unfortunately very few cases where the colorpicker pick the original value properly.

Hope you could have a look at that.

Cheers.

Liam.

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Color Management

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

What you describe in case 1 seems to be close to what we are currently doing.

We are working on various bug fixes regarding the color management, which includes a rework of the behavior of the color picker. I can't share the exact changes we are planning as things are still in development, but they should be available once 7.4.2 is released (planned for next month currently, but may slip off a bit).

By the way, thank you for taking the time to do all those tests, we will take that into consi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe in case 1 seems to be close to what we are currently doing.

We are working on various bug fixes regarding the color management, which includes a rework of the behavior of the color picker. I can't share the exact changes we are planning as things are still in development, but they should be available once 7.4.2 is released (planned for next month currently, but may slip off a bit).

By the way, thank you for taking the time to do all those tests, we will take that into consideration on our side as well. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is great news to hear.

Thanks for your answer.

Cheers.

Liam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources