• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash on Bake of Ambient Occlusion/Thickness with GPU Raytracing enabled

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've built a new system to take advantage of the fast baking potential here, and sometimes I don't get a crash, but it seems to routinely be the case nowadays. Painter will close without notice as soon as it attempts an AO bake.

The annoying past is, I have the same GPU on my work machine with the same version of painter and don't get these issues I do here at home. Is this something to do with my work machine being Intel CPU and home being AMD? Because I'm on all latest firmware and drivers and bios for my machine and no other raytracing applications give me this kind of issue, just substance painter (painter also gives me loads of problems with wacom unlike other software but that's another issue)

I'm on version 2021.1.0 (7.1.0). 

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
32GB DDR4 RAM
Nvidia RTX3060 - 12GB

I've been apprehensive to update to the latest Painter because often I don't like to update software unless there's something it fixes. Is this issue fixed in the latest version? If not I will not bother upgrading.

TOPICS
Baking , Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dane.
I have also been a long time user starting with Substance Painter 2018. I have always purchased my licenses from steam. I am currently using Substance Painter 2021.1.0 (7.2.3)
I can tell you that my system specs are as follows: 
Intel I7 9700k 8 core 
MSI RTX 2070 Ventus OC
32gb DDR4 Ram
I too am having the same issue as you are. I have made an alteration with my mesh recently and reimported through project configuration. As soon as I begin the bake process Painter will crash and close on the ambient occlusion (sometimes it has worked though). Due to this happening I actually took my PC to a local IT shop and had them look over my PC incase of parts not functioning properly. I have since recived my PC back and they have told me that they put my PC under stress test overnight and it was still working and playing the next day. I am now led to believe that there is something with Painter because I have exhausted all other options. I am going go back to Substance Painter 2020 to see if the same issue happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it's Painters fault then. Adobe, fix this. Your RTX baking seems unstable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 2023/02/11, the Nvdia RTX raytrace baking is still displaying this exact bug, the solution is to disable raytrace in the settings and don't save processed baking information to make sure it is reprocessed everytime.

This could be an exclusive Ryzen + Nvidia 30 series bug or even ryzen 5900x exclusive to RTX3060 or 3060TI. As i run systems matching this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not got any issues coming from Intel Users apparently they are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Iam just a 1 Year Stud, so i hope that isnt that dumb, could it also be a littl mesh/workflow could cause that problem?

i got this error, after i had 7+  seperate meshes worked fine to bake, with my normal/same workflow in a row, i stumbled about this problem and couldnt also find a other solution than turning off the maps, because the whole bake couldnt get canceled, also the programm didnt freeze, it still seems to calculate 100% use at taskmanager. you need to task kill it and reopen.

But also, i did slightly messed up my workflow there on that exact mesh/retopology/substance bake

1. i retopolgied the first time this workflow with retopo tool on that green ornament mesh (couldnt also find the solution to turn/fix the "green"

instead of the maya quadtool retopo

2023-03-28 04_09_16-ANM5100 Highpoly9_Sword_Gohl.mb_ - Autodesk MAYA 2022.2_ D__SAE 2 Festplatte_ANM.png

2. i wanted to retopologies the middle ornament (the triangle one )

again with quadtool, because i got the green problem with retopo tool.

But somehow, the new quadmesh, got the name of the 1. Mesh instead of the Triangle One.

So in my (beginner) understanding, oclusion bake something like the interaction/shadows between such meshes. And because something went wrong there, it try to calculate to infinity a interaction that nearly could be calculated between that mesh/beteewen them both (?) or something like, i quad tool retopologie somehow, the triangle one in interaction with the right ornament on the wood)

2023-03-28 04_33_39-ANM5100 Highpoly9_Sword_Gohl.mb_ - Autodesk MAYA 2022.2_ D__SAE 2 Festplatte_ANM.png

 if this is a (other) common problem or beginner fail, iam sorry 🙂 but maybe it could help to find a solution if it maybe could be reproduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources