Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different max frontal distance for different objects

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am baking a rifle in Substance Painter which consist of 40 small and big part using one UV map. Some object have very closed places which result in overlapping AO so I tried 0.005 max frontal distance. But when I change it other objects get weird baking. Is there anyway to bake all the object individually with different max frontal distance using single UV map.

TOPICS
Baking , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

I don't think there is an easy solution here unfortunately. I would advise to split your object further so that you can use matching by name on this component too, but I suppose it's not always possible in your case.

If you want to go with baking two verisons and mixing them together, you can do that in Painter itself. You will need to bake your first version, export it and re-import it under another name, then bake the second version. You can then blend them in the layer stack (by changing th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Matching By Name feature was made exactly for you use case: avoid objects bleeding on each other during the baking process. With it you can isolate low and high poly meshes in groups. This way you don't need to fiddle with the ray distance.

See: https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I didn't explained the problem correctly. I am already using by mesh name. I want to get rid of this small closed area where normal and ao is baking on each other. Someone told me to bake 2 AO and normals and combine them in photoshop. But I can't combine them with exact values. For example I put two AO maps in photoshop and changed one to multiply. It mix together but the result was a little grey. After that I used level to but I can't find a certain value to make it as original bake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think there is an easy solution here unfortunately. I would advise to split your object further so that you can use matching by name on this component too, but I suppose it's not always possible in your case.

If you want to go with baking two verisons and mixing them together, you can do that in Painter itself. You will need to bake your first version, export it and re-import it under another name, then bake the second version. You can then blend them in the layer stack (by changing the mixing mode in the Texture Set settings). For the AO you likely don't want to mix them with "multiply", otherwise dark areas will get double intensity. Just using the "normal" blending to go over specific areas will work better.

See:

- https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/draftpainter/latest/ambient-occlusion-painting-212304798...

- https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/draftpainter/latest/normal-map-painting-212304814.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources