Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Draw simple rectangle or circle on the MASK

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys!

I am not a big expert in Substance so I need some advice how could I make this more efficient:

I am refurbishing very old models and try to add PBR materials to them. These models are usually buildings. Lot of straight rectangle polys. When they were created the polygon count was an issue so lot of things were simply drawn on the texture without extra polygons. So for example windows were simply was drawn on the facade of the building, they were not extruded or beveled to a poly. So in the materials I have to mask out the windows (glass).

I simply want to select area on the texture/mask and add it as a white mask but somehow I cannot find the option or tool for that. The tool like rectangle, circle, polygon is missing for me.

So far what I did that I opened photoshop created a mask bitmap, imported to substance as bitmap mask. But this is a little bit tedious and wondering if I could do this without photoshop.

Sandor22498547h339_0-1675846131501.png

TOPICS
Discussion , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @LHSimulations,

Thanks for your message.

One solution would be to create a mask by color (add mask > add mask with color selection). Usually, it is made for an ID map, but you can perfectly add any map that seems to have a delimitation of your windows.

Mask with color selection.png

Also, if you want to use a rectangle shape, you will find one with some parameters to tweak under the alpha section of your library.

Square shape.png

With that being said, create a mask inside photoshop wasn't a bad option in my opinion, because without an ID map or polygons or something else defining the areas, it can be tedious to select them.

I hope this will help with your workflow and have a nice day,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Cyril!

Thanks a bunch! This helps really a lot. It will not solve all my issue but for simpler "objects" it does what is needed. More complex or scattered objects will be generated in photoshop. Sometimes I have luck and I have the source pdf where the object is separated as a layer, it makes it easy to create png mask out of it.

I am really thankful for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources