• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from Cinema 4D and Blender into Substance. Not finding edges.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I’m currently trailing Substance Painter and I don’t know if I’m missing something. I’ve tried exporting from both Cinema 4D and Blender and get the same results. I can’t seem to get the smart masks to work.

I’ve got a basic cube. I’ve tried both UV unwrapping in Cinema 4D (not up to speed with Blender yet), and I’ve tried Substance’s own auto unwrapping. I’ve exported the cube as an fbx. Imported it into Substance > New Project >
Nothing selected in the template,
Resolution 1024 (also tried 2048),
Normal map (tried both OpenGL and DirectX),
UV Tile workflow (again tried both),
and tried Auto-unwrap checked on unchecked.

Loads un and seems to recognise the UV layout.

Snap1.jpg

Apply a smart material (eg. Copper Worn), all ok.

Snap2.jpg

Add a fill layer on top, again all ok.

Snap3.jpg

Then apply the Edge Damage smart mask to the fill layer.

And get this result.

Snap4.jpg

I then tried baking the material before applying anything,

Snap5.jpg

Snap7.jpg

with the following results.

Snap8.jpg

and with the mask inverted

Snap9.jpg

If I open their sample (EG. MeetMat), and do the same it works as expected. IE. Damage along the edges.

Snap10.jpg

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Automatic UV unwrapping , Baking , Import & Export , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Hi

The edge damage mask makes heavy use of the baked curvature map. Chances are that map has no information in it -  you can check by changing the view from material to curvature.  Try rebaking and increasing the sampling radius for curvature baking. Once you have information in that map - try your smart materials and maps again.

As an aside, when importing from Blender choose OpenGL as the normal format for import and also for export. I usually set the bake maps to the same size as the projec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The edge damage mask makes heavy use of the baked curvature map. Chances are that map has no information in it -  you can check by changing the view from material to curvature.  Try rebaking and increasing the sampling radius for curvature baking. Once you have information in that map - try your smart materials and maps again.

As an aside, when importing from Blender choose OpenGL as the normal format for import and also for export. I usually set the bake maps to the same size as the project texture maps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You sir, are a hero.

Spot on. Thanks for the help. Just goes to show how much I have to learn.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources