• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FEATURE REQUEST: Cacheing of Thumbnail images rather than constant regeneration

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a long-term gripe with Painter, I'm hoping that maybe something can be done about it...

When loading up shelves, material thumbnails are generated every session. This is not only slow and frustrating, but it seems like a remarakbale waste of resources.

Is there no way that these thumbnail images could be cached to a location, and only marked for re-generation in the event that said material has actually been altered, rather than re-generated every time I open the programme?

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

The thumbnail are actually already cached, the little message at the bottom of the UI is a bit misleading because it appears both when generating a preview or reloading one from our cache. What is slow is actually reading that cache from the disk, which is why we advise putting your resources on an SSD if you have a lot of them.

You can also increase the memory budget that handle the display of the thumbnails in the application to avoid unloading and reloading them all the time when scrolling

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the settings of Painter you can increase the budget for the cache of the thumbnails to avoid them to be each time regenerated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cedric, many thanks for the tip, I've set the Cache size up 10GB as I have plenty of room.

When using a large shelf however, where I have to scroll, it still freezes up for a few seconds and says "generating thumbnails" at the bottom, every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thumbnail are actually already cached, the little message at the bottom of the UI is a bit misleading because it appears both when generating a preview or reloading one from our cache. What is slow is actually reading that cache from the disk, which is why we advise putting your resources on an SSD if you have a lot of them.

You can also increase the memory budget that handle the display of the thumbnails in the application to avoid unloading and reloading them all the time when scrolling if you have a lot of resource. This can be done with an envrironment variable, see: https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/environment-variables-172823292.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Fabrice, I'll have to check where they're stashed, since they're in Dropbox that could actually be HDD on one of my systems IIRC.
So the issues are essentially read speed of the cache, and RAM budget allowed for the storing of previews?
Thank makes sense, thanks.

I wonder if you could have a dynamic meory limit so it ranges up and down over time depending on use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources