Substance Painter customer for a while, I just really decided now to go deeper into it.
While it gives awesome looking results and feels extremely powerful at first, I'm quite shocked of the lack of many " basic "features that should be integrated to get the best workflow between the 3D software and this one.
I paint mainly Aircrafts, and it's a complex arrangement of panel lines, rivets, gauges with dials etc. It's not THAT artistic and need everything or almost to be measured and accurately placed.
Currently, maybe I missed a lot of things, but I can't :
- Paint bezier splines, parametric curves
- Define intervals distance between two brushes
- Save a brush to a layer ( to simulate a rivet type ), without doing complex things in the software
- Using background reference image as " Planes " ( like in Blender or SolidWorks ) to directly " Draw Thru " and save a lot of time. Some assets just can't be done " on the go " with sole Mk1. Eyeball
- Use radial or longitudinal arrays, repetitions, patterns x TIMES over X,Y, Z axis ...
- Correct straight lines, still very buggy and lunatic feature
- Basic geometrical shapes to be painted, not alphas ( like compas to paint a circle with a diameter of " X " mm, paint two lines with an angle of " X " ° between them ... )
- More " mechanical " options
- Managing SI units. Basically if correct mesh was .FBX exported from Blender with correct scale and deimensions, and with proper integration of UV map, Substance should deduce real world units in mm, ft or whatever
- Painting a line parallel or perpendicular to another one, or an edge, or a surface etc
- Masking of some mesh parts " On the Go ", not only with Vertex Color
- X-Ray to paint thru some assemblies
I know it's asking a lot but really, some of this have been discussed for years I saw on various threads and got never addressed. If there is an addon for it, I'd be okay to pay for it but Substance is already expensive enough... i have SP 2021, why should I even bother looking at buying 2022 when it offers nothing I need ?
Looking forward to hear from you devs,
Thanks for reading !
I've moved your post from the Substance Designer forum to the Substance Painter forum which seems to be more relevant to your post.
Hi Dave, thanks for moving to appropriate section.
Any replies on this, not a single one ? What could I do in the meantime to substitute ?
Are there any plans on adding such features ?
Quite sad the former forum has been gone.
Feel like no one knows/care here.
Really, are at least some of these features never uses by you guys ?
What devs can say ? Are there some things planned ?
Copy link to clipboard
Is anything similar in Substance 2022, or planned ? Like curves, geometric control etc ?