Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to activate "Flow Map Grooming"?

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,

I'm using this resource (Shaved Hair Material) from the substance 3D asset store in 3D Painter.

It has an option for "Flow Map Grooming" which I assumed meant you could feed a flow map to control the direction.

Problem is, I have no clue how to feed a map into this material.

My questsions are:

1.  Is this feature meant to be useable in Painter, or would this be activated in Designer?
  2.  Is this meant to take in a flow map, or is it saying it will generate a flow map ( I assume if you painted with the material on a brush instead of loading it in as a fill)?
  3.  If it's meant to take in a flow map inside of Painter, how do I plug a map into this material?

I've attached screenshots of the Properties panel when its in fill mode. Of note, there is nothing listed under "Image Inputs" when it's opened.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you look at that material in Substance Designer, the button activates an input called Flow_Map with a usage of 'flow_map'. So you are correct in your expectation that the button is activating an input to teh material. At present though I cannot see a way of getting a channel to feed into that input map. There is no dedicated flow_map channel in Painter.

The Painter documentation confirms this (no dedicated channel) and whilst it gives instructions on how to paint a flowmap onto a normal channel it does not show how to get that into the material input.

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/flow-map-painting-143327274.html

So I would love to be proved wrong, but at present it looks like a material input made in readiness for a future channel.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's what I feared! Thank you for the thorough answer Dave. That resource on painting flow maps looks great as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources