Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

How to import edited mesh with same UV without breaking textures

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So- I am trying to transfer a texture to another version of the same mesh. The UV map is EXACTLY the same, no edits or anything, it is only the mesh's shape that has been changed... yet, no matter what I do- whether it's importing the other mesh version into the same Substance file, or trying to use a smartmaterial in a new file, the texture ends up completely warped and incorrect.

I need a way to get the textures to match up TO THE UV, not the mesh, because the brush strokes no longer match the same way on the mesh because it has been edited... but since the UV is the same, the textures SHOULD be able to apply to the mesh just fine. Yet for some reason, it always seems to go off of the 3D object instead of the UV when applying the textures. How do I fix this??

TOPICS
Import & Export , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

From what I understand you have gone back and changed your model and want the textures you already made to apply to the new model? 

What you have to do is go to edit > Project Configuration > File and select your new model, make sure preserve brush strokes is checked, then bake your mesh maps and you should be done.

If you need any help feel free to ask.

Manolis

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I want the textures already made to apply to the new, edited model without the textures breaking because the projection is now inaccurate. I want it to apply textures based on the UV, not the mesh's shape.

For example, say I have a general canine model fully textured... it looks like a wolf. I edit the model into a fox, with different proportions, but the same UV. I want to be able to import that new model, or transfer the textures, without the textures breaking due to the new proportions.

From prior experience, it makes no difference whether "preserve brush strokes" is checked or not, the texture always breaks due to trying to re-project onto the 3D model instead of just matching to the UV like it should.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the advice you gave actually doesn't work at all period for this file... it just says "file import failed, reverting to previous version" and nothing changes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that didnt work.

Is there any chance you could send over your substance painter save and both models?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening with me as well.

I'm trying to swap the mesh with a more updated one and the little details are broken on the model when I do so. It doesn't give me any warning or error when I import the new mesh, painting just gets messed on some parts (especially the eye/face)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send the files over?

Also did you uncheck "auto unwrap UV" 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! Really helped me a lot! god bless you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources