• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Preserve ID Maps When Rebaking Reimported Mesh

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this even possible? It would be nice to be able to add to an existing color ID map without completely overwriting the old map when I rebake (It's for a decal sheet that I'm updating as I use). 

TOPICS
Baking , Color Management , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

I see. This is an interesting use case. This would demand to check which UV island is consistent and which are new. I'll share your request to the team, but just so you know, this isn't a trivial implementation.

Regarding the Tolerance parameter, this is an option from the Color Selection tool, not the baking (RMB on a mask > Add Color Selection).

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also is there a way to prevent Substance from choosing the same color for separate mesh IDs? That kinda defeats the whole purpose of ID maps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my export, these meshes are separate, but lo and behold, they share the same freaking color!!!!!!

Screenshot 2023-12-09 205754.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @evany90292982,

Thanks for the message.

What would you update when rebaking and what would you keep?

Regarding the similar colors, there are several sources you can choose to build the ID map.

• Vertex Color
  • Material Color
  • File ID
  • Mesh ID/Polygroup

As long as all your using the File ID source, and that the desired parts are separated objects, they shouldn't share the same ID color. That being said, the color can look similar, but actually have different values. Make sure the tolerance parameter in the color selection is low enough.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Where do I find the color tolerance parameter? I don't see it under the ID section of the Baking settings window. 

In my specific case, I added the circled element to my trim sheet, and since I already had an ID map wherein each element was assigned a unique color based on Mesh ID, it would have been nice to preserve the colors for everything that already had colors assigned while assigning a new color to the circled element. 

Screenshot 2023-12-11 101049.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. This is an interesting use case. This would demand to check which UV island is consistent and which are new. I'll share your request to the team, but just so you know, this isn't a trivial implementation.

Regarding the Tolerance parameter, this is an option from the Color Selection tool, not the baking (RMB on a mask > Add Color Selection).

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it, thanks! Yeah it's no biggie if this very niche issue of mine doesn't get addressed, I realize there are more important features and updates that take priority, but it would be a time saver for certain applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources