• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with light and shadow mapping on mesh brought in from Blender

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am incountering a situation in which a mesh that I am bringing into Substance Painter has a specific part of the geometry that appears to have the light and shadow flipped from what is happening with the rest of the model. 

The part in particular is the the eyesocket/housing on the head of the character (ass seen in the images provided).

Prior to this issue, also was having a problem with some of the polygons appeared inside out, but I was able to solve that by fliping the normals back in Blender and reexporting the FBX file.  

So I'm not sure if this is an issue with the model back in Blender, if this is because of how I imported the mesh to Substance Painter or if it is even an actual issue at all. 

TOPICS
Automatic UV unwrapping , Bugs & Crashes , Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

I downloaded the eye socket model. The problem is that you have a negative scale in Blender on the eye socket object which is reversing the faces. To fix it:

In Blender :

1. Use Ctrl+A and apply the Rotation and Scale

2. Change to Edit mode and Select All

3. Recalculate the normals outside

4. Unwrap again

5. Export the fbx

That should import OK into Painter.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like some of your normals are still reversed. In Blender edit mode, go to the viewport overlays (top right) and turn on normals visibility so you can see what needs to be flipped.

2021-07-26_13-13-22.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, Dave.

So I went back into Blender, but it's difficult to tell if the normals are "correct"

The first too images show how the normals are faced out to give me the result in the third image. For some reason there are some coming out of the back of the model which doesn't seem correct.

In the fourth image, I fliped the normals only on the outside most faces where I felt the problem was the most pronounced. But that resulted in said faces appearing transparent in Substance Painter when viewed from head on.

At this point, I think I can just rebuild the object, which I don't think would take me that long. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It looks like you have reversed normals but the indicators are coming through the model on the opposite side to the face. You can shorten the length of the lines to make them easier to see. I  would have expected the normal indicators to look something like this :

2021-07-26_23-46-32.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I would have expected as well, but the when the normals are positioned like that it results in the faces being transparent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you unwrap again after correcting the normals?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did, I reeported the mesh as an FBX file and reimported it into Substance Painter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to the fbx file?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the FBX file for the whole model 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the eye socket model. The problem is that you have a negative scale in Blender on the eye socket object which is reversing the faces. To fix it:

In Blender :

1. Use Ctrl+A and apply the Rotation and Scale

2. Change to Edit mode and Select All

3. Recalculate the normals outside

4. Unwrap again

5. Export the fbx

That should import OK into Painter.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it!
Thank you so much for the help, Dave. I really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources