Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lines (seams) artifacts are visible on the edges

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I've been trying to fix these artifacts for a long time but didn't succeed so maybe you could help me with that.

Basically, I've created some objects in Blender, both low and high poly:

Low:

Pic3.png

High:

Pic4.png

I've marked seams on hard edges and unwrapped the low poly:

Pic5.png

Then I exported both models to SP. I've been using these settings for baking:

pic6.png

Pic7.png

Pic8.png

Once the baking was done, these lines on the edges appeared:

Pic9.png

However, if I zoom out, these lines become less visible:

Pic10.png

Even though they are not really visible from a distance, I still want to fix these artifacts, if it is possible of course.

Then I duplicated the low poly three times and made some adjustments to the new objects:

Pic11.png

Pic12.png

They are separate objects with suffixes _low and _high on all eight of them.

Here are the uvs:

pic16.png

However, once the baking was done, these lines have become more visible on the edges:

Pic14.png

Pic15.png

Pic13.png

I've been looking through the forums searching for an answer to my problem, I've tried everything to fix these artifacts, but worthless. I'm desperate for the solution so I'd really glad if somebody could help me.

TOPICS
Baking , Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try increasing the max frontal and rear distance settings in the bake parameters, from default 0.01 to say 0.1 or even higher if necessary

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for replying.

I did like you said, played with max frontal and rear distance but it didn't make any changes at all. Is it ok to have those artifacts? I mean, is it actually possible to get rid of them cause the only thing that I've leard from numerous forums that I've read is that it's impossible to fix this issue. Like, these seams are always visible on any models when you zoom in too close but once you zoom out, seams become less visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this is the Blender cube before baking and with each face separate the way you had yours.

2021-09-02_20-44-49.jpg

The high poly version has a curved bevel and smoothing applied in Blender. Baking with the default distances and same parameters as you used, same result as you :

2021-09-02_20-45-49.jpg

Increasing the front and rear distance to this:

2021-09-02_20-46-31.jpg

Gave me this:

2021-09-02_20-47-09.jpg

Of course this is still a low poly cube with the only vertices at each corner so there is a limit to how smooth it will look,  and zooming to extremes still shows a corner, and showing the corner against a contrasting background it will still look sharp, but that is the nature of simulating a corner with normals rather than modelling it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I guess this is maximum that you can get from such a low polycount. I was actually zooming extremely close but if I zoom out, these artifacts on the corners become far less visible, at least a another human wouldn't even notice them. I've heard the same thing from forums and Youtube, if it looks ok from a distance, then this won't be a problem, right?

Btw, do you have to apply smoothing to low poly or it is only related to high poly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources