Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Matching colors between Substance Painter and Unreal Engine

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, before the introduction of the color management tool in Substance Painter, there was a workflow covered by the youtuber William Faucher (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8wR4df0IE&t=359s) that applied a LUT on painter's viewport in order to make it match the colors displayed on Painter with those displayed at Unreal Engine.

I was wondering, since we've got this color management tool for a while now, is there a better way to achieve this result and have my textures in painter match those in Unreal? Should I keep using the "legacy" color management in combination with that old LUT workflow, or is there a better way to sync both apps?

Thanks!

thiagoa71118398_0-1661887890074.png

TOPICS
Color Management , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would definitely be better to use the same OCIO config in the substance that you are using in Unreal. The legacy method used a LUT applied to the view which gets you halfway there. The new method has both a view transform and input transforms to get a perfect match between programs. Basically what you need to do is follow the workflow in the video you referenced, but rather than using the LUT -- which was a limited workaround -- you instead use the OCIO config.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources