Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Materials not displaying on mesh

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is very simple, but the solution seems to be difficult to figure out.

When I load in a mesh and try to apply a material to it, it doesn't display on the mesh. It remains as the default grey. Even when I load in the sample files like Mat or the sample sphere, which are already unwrapped. It's absolutely not a UV issue. When I load in a low poly mesh that I've created (perfectly unwrapped) and bake the high poly mesh on it the maps bake, but they do not display on the mesh in the viewport (not on the 3D mesh or the UV view). In the maps panel it shows that the low poly has the details of the high poly (ID, Normal, etc..), but they do not display. 

I've looked everywhere for a solution and can't seem to find anything on this issue.

I appreciate any help. Thank you. 

Chris 

TOPICS
Baking , Bugs & Crashes , Discussion , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hey @Kyv just wanted to hit you back and let you know that I figured out what my issue is 100%. So it is quite simple. I was using an external monitor off of my laptop as an extended display, and I had it set to my 'main display'. So I would open all my programs on this monitor. It turns out that my Adobe programs wouldn't read my Nvidia GeForce (only the default Intel graphics card) when I open them on my monitor.

So I thought I would try to make my laptop my 'main display'. After I dragged my

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Just installed SP on a loaner laptop while my main one is getting fixed. I figured it was a issue with only have an integrated card, but I read that's not an issue if you have a UHD 4000 or above. This one has a 4600.

Been searching around for forever to figure out what's going on. Can't be a coincidence though that we have the same issue at the same time, maybe a problem with a recent update?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Kyv.

So there may be something going on with a previous update, but I have been facing this issue for over a year. I am just now posting about it... And as far as drivers and graphics, I have already ran previous versions of Substance on my laptop no problem. So hardware isn't the issue either. But something that is even more interesting about my situation is that if I open a project on my substance at work and start texturing something, save it, then open that file at home, I can start textruring in that project file. But this is neither a solution nor fix. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that's odd. For me, the issue still presents when I open a SP file that I know works.

I'm back on my main laptop though, so I'm not really worried about it anymore. Everything works as usual.

Must be a driver issue or something, or maybe related to the hard drive? I've no clue, SP doesn't throw any kind of errors when it happens. I also tried to install an older version of SP, but that didn't work.

Obiously whatever causes this is the same for both laptops. Not sure how to pinpoint it though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Kyv just wanted to hit you back and let you know that I figured out what my issue is 100%. So it is quite simple. I was using an external monitor off of my laptop as an extended display, and I had it set to my 'main display'. So I would open all my programs on this monitor. It turns out that my Adobe programs wouldn't read my Nvidia GeForce (only the default Intel graphics card) when I open them on my monitor.

So I thought I would try to make my laptop my 'main display'. After I dragged my programs over onto my laptop screen, and opened them from there......... IT WORKED! Substance didn't give me a log error and textures work perfect! In fact I can drag the substance painter window back over to my 2nd monitor and continuing working on it lol

I hope this helps you! 

Best 

Chris 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me, unfortunately. But I appreciate the help anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

We are updating our Qt framework to a more recent version for the next major version of Painter. That should normally solved the problems that you encounter with mutiple monitors and/or HDPI monitors.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources