• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need ability to export UDIM tile's name for game engine

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UDIM numbers are not useful for game engines, yet they are essential for painting and baking across multiple parts of the mesh in Substance Painter.   Instead of having to look up what part 1004 is, it would be nice if I could export it with the name I put on the tile within Substance Painter.

TOPICS
UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like $udimTileName or $tileName would be nice in the naming convention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a good point! I'm putting this on our list of feature requests. Bear in mind that we don't have any ETA for this feature. 

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Geoffroy SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @GeoffroySC, coming up on the 1 year anniversary of this request. Any update on it? Would be such a useful feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Matt25778650jidw.

Unfortunately, nothing new to share on this side. I can bring it up to the team once again, but let me suggest you (and people who may read this thread) to like the post if you think the idea worths being implemented. We watch this kind of metrics.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Cyril! Mostly 2 years now! 🙂 Do we have any update on this? 

William | Senior Character Artist | Red Barrel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im suprised this is still an issue. We need the ability to export specific naming withouth having to manually rename each file every time we want to see it in the game engine. Im using UDIM and can only export the textures out with the udim number and not the custom name we give each udim. Please add!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see this implemented. Specifically for use in a game engine. Having the ability to see a description of the UDIM and the UDIM number would be absolutly helpful. No guessing as to what the UDIM is when having to manually set up or inspect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the feature enough people need to "like" it.  It's not going to get implemented with 2 "likes".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean "upvotes"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats a shame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is of course not the only thing we look at to release a feature. The relevancy of the request, our ongoing features, Painter's structure, etc. also weigh in the balance.

But we regularly talk about user requests and a highly upvoted post will obviously be something taken in consideration. 

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im curious what the typical udim workflow is, Im sure every artist needs to iterate, so I guess they just leave the cryptic named files as is? Or maybe everyone is used to renaming them, I know at my studio Im the only one complaingin about it, everyone else just renames them each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think most game studios do not use UDIMs.  It's not practical for game engines.  However, Substance Painter only allows you to paint across UDIMs and not texture sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert W Taylor this conversation is not about using UDIMs in game, but rather about using the UDIM workflow in Painter then exporting each UDIM tile to its own texture set as you typically would for games. That way you get all the benefits of the Painter UDIM system (single layer stack, paint across texture sets, etc.) while still having the standard texture set setup for games in your exported files. The only thing required to make this workflow seamless is exporting with UDIM names rather than 1001, 1002, etc.

@Riki3D My current solution is to use a batch renaming tool like Advanced Renamer. That way you can just setup some find/replace rules and drag in the files to swap out the numbered UDIM IDs whenever you re-export. Quick once its setup but still a hassle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what this thread is about. I started this thread.  I'm saying that most game devs do not use UDIMs.  The only reason I want to use them is because Substance Painter only allows painting across tiles using UDIMs.  The names for the UDIM tiles are arbitrary.  Substance Painter lets you add a name to the tile in the Texture Set window.  But it doesn't let you export this tile name instead or with the UDIM tile number.  The name would be a lot more useful for use in game engines than the number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive just recemtly started using them. Its actually quite useful on large modular sets that end up using the same smart materials, but yeah most of the time all that is needed is a texture set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our studio, we have pre-established naming conventions. When we want to paint across UDIMs we must then rename the output to follow these conventions. We are not using large amounts of UDIMs. Mostly a couple or a few.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Yes please, it would be awesome to add that as a feature. I'm working in a game studio that already have naming convention and having to rename all the UDIM by hand can be a pain in the a** especially if there's a lot of them! Anyway! I hope you guys can do something about this! 🙂 Cheers! 

William | Senior Character Artist | Red Barrels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is an important missing feature, please include it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources