Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help for bake settings

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey o/

A while ago i was looking some help here for a problem on my bake, nobody no one has ever been able to answer me.

So i try again :

i sent u guys the low poly and the high poly (sculpt) from one log of the final object, please someone can try bake it and tell me wich settings i need for all map.

I tried many different settings and that always the same, the bake give me empty map.

Wetransfer link 

PS : sorry, english not my native language

TOPICS
Baking

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Hi,

You are exporting your meshes in different formats, .fbx and .obj. Each of these formats holds a different set of information. In your case, since .fbx stocks the scale unit, while .obj doesn't ("1 meter" is what .fbx saves while .obj saves just "1"), your bake won't work. 

Another difference to note between fbx and obj is the size and read speed. fbx are normally written as binary files and are therefore faster to read and have a smaller overall size.

As you can see when I imported both

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a few steps you want to do is this

1. make sure your low poly mesh is unwrapped in the 0-1 space
  2. you'll wanna make sure that the model is in the exact space as the high poly, (substance painter imports based on scene object location, so if your low poly and high poly objects are sitting side by side they won't be able to bake on top of each other)
  3. make sure you adjust your cage/offset to give it space to pickup all the detail of the high poly object

-jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is good
lowpoly unwrapped, high not, both in same space
both in exact same position 

tried many different value for the cage and tried without one 

but nothing change

just gave me empty map

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New WeTransfer link, test please and tell me if i miss something
WeTransfer Link 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You are exporting your meshes in different formats, .fbx and .obj. Each of these formats holds a different set of information. In your case, since .fbx stocks the scale unit, while .obj doesn't ("1 meter" is what .fbx saves while .obj saves just "1"), your bake won't work. 

Another difference to note between fbx and obj is the size and read speed. fbx are normally written as binary files and are therefore faster to read and have a smaller overall size.

As you can see when I imported both your meshes in Blender, your low poly is at the correct scale since it was saved with units, while the high poly is huge (100 times bigger than your low poly). 

GeoffroySC_0-1659446358237.png

Firstly, I would recommend you scale down your meshes in the same DCC and export with the same format. I wouldn't recommend exporting out of Zbrush, since its scale is quite complex and counterintuitive.

scale_for_bake.gif

Otherwise, I would also advise lowering your polycount on your high poly mesh. Your high poly is almost at 2 million polygons for a very low amount of concentrated details. 

GeoffroySC_1-1659449598455.png

I would optimise your low poly and its UVs. Your low poly doesn't need that high a poly count unless you intend to subdivide it in order to apply some displacement map. If you intend to texture this asset as a solo object, I would recommend resetting your UVs to occupy a large amount of UV space. 

GeoffroySC_2-1659450438407.png

Lastly, before exporting I would check for the pivot position of both your meshes (high and low) and make them match.

I now have both meshes at the centre of the world, both exported as.fbx. 

GeoffroySC_3-1659451007469.png

You can add a bevel on your edges to support the illusion if you want to do some close-up.  

This is the bake I came up with: 

bake_for_log.gif

I linked both the high and low poly that I reworked. 

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Geoffroy SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ow, first a big thanks for helping me.
When i imported this files on Maya, it's never show me size difference it's weird.
In my studies we learn to use fbx for low poly, i thinks it was an error .

I'll try on 2 obj files and try to resize them.

For the UV space and the position i'll cant change it, it's just a log from a bigger objet, just for easier tests.

i go test this thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources