• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New problems using Black Masks

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In trying to repeat my first exercise of adding skin texture variants to a character head. For example, forehead skin texture to forehead, cheek texture to cheek etc, etc (which worked exactly as the tutorial explains the first time I experimented 4 months ago) I now seeem to have odd results when I paint white onto the black mask. Instead of just revealing the texture in the localised area required, it also adds a shading effect around the outside of the stroke that creates the illusion of an indentation which you can see on the attachment. What am I doing wrong now that I was't doing when I first tried this 4 months ago? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is on the height channel of the masked layer and what blend mode is that height channel set to?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Thank you so much for your reply. It set me off on a train of thought that eventually made me realise my daft mistake. I assigned the material wrongly in the first place, this time around. I've just succeded in applying localised skin texture without this height error.

Really appreciate your help, thanks again.

Graeme (Game Art student from the UK)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem - we all make them 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue! How did you correct your material assignment? I use Blender, and just asigned a default material to my mesh without making any changes to it. Would appreciate your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Figured it out! The height position property on the layer was set too low. I kept it at .5, and it got rid of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources