• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Normals from projected textures change color(direction) between two sides of a seam

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Projecting a texture (Warp, Tri-planar... anything but UV projection) results in this issue.

I'm attaching an image. I just recreated it with a simple unwrapped sphere (exported from Blender) and used normal textures shipped with SPainter.

Is that a bug? A feature? Or maybe it's because of how I exported the 3D model from other software?

Specs: Substance Painter 2021 Steam edition, FBX models exported with Blender.

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

That's expected, this is how normal map works. The UV orientation isn't the same from one side of the seam to the other, therefor the normal map vector will change.

What matters is the resulting shading to look fine in Material mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's expected, this is how normal map works. The UV orientation isn't the same from one side of the seam to the other, therefor the normal map vector will change.

What matters is the resulting shading to look fine in Material mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I did get the mirrored effect in my exported normal maps. But I've just figured it out thanks to an old thread on Substance forums. My issue was a mix of a couple of factors: I unintentionally exported DirectX normal maps from an OpenGL project (didn't realize presets have their own normal map formats), and then I most likely didn't realize my texture node inside Blender flipped back from "Non-color" to "sRGB" (it does it every time you replace a texture) which made the mirroring effect visible so even after fixing OpenGLproject to OpenGLexport I must have tricked myself into thinking it's still messed up.

I just set everything up and got a beautiful gLTF file, fully textured working as intended. Thought I'd share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, worth adding I was exporting OpenGL->DirectX then re-importing that back to Painter OpenGL then re-exporting that to DirectX I mean, I can't blame it for something going wrong along the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources