Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paints in multiple places at once on the mesh

Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

New to Substance Painter. Just wondering why when I paint, it paints in multiple spots on the mesh instead of just one spot? I have mirroring turned off,  I have "UV" set in the Alignment on the brush setting and in the new project I have Use UV Tile Workflow checked. 

From blender it's just 1 material and 1 mesh. Do I need to assign more materials or set it up somehow so it doesnt do this? Or is this something I can fix in SP? 

Thanks!

TOPICS
UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sw2349600,

My first guess would be overlapping UVs. Can I have a look at your UVs ?

Keep me posted.

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, how do I show the UV map in SP? I only see the textured version (attached).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the map in Blender though, it's hard to tell if it's overlapping. But would SP's uv map look different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems, it's textured but those are still your UVs. It seems they're indeed overlapped. Basically, the UVs are the 3D model unfolded in a 2D space. Therefore, if the UVs are overlapping, it's as they're in the same space, creating the issue you're facing.

You'll need to rebuild the UVs and reimport the mesh. You can take a look at our tutorial about Model Preparation for Substance 3D Painter, or (if you don't want to bother with UVs) you can use the Auto-Unwrap option.

Auto-Unwrap.png

Just make sure to switch the Seams parameter to Recompute all in the Options.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for your help, it seemed to work before trying your method by not including the blender material. I had auto unwrap on before when it wasnt working. 

But good to know about your guide, I will keep this in mind. 

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources