• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor texture quality

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Sorry if my English is not perfect. I have a problem with texture’s quality in Substance Painter, it’s pretty ugly. I checked google, it’s often due to a poor UV mapping or bad settings. So, I checked all the settings I could find and tried to apply my texture on the Substance Painter starter mesh, the robot (kinda), assuming it has good UV’s. I tried on a Blender’s basic sphere too (which I’m sure it has good UV mapping) but the problem still occurs. (See Pictures)

I don’t think it comes from the texture itself because I found it in a Substance’s library and it looks good in Substance Alchemist.

I’m on a 4k Monitor with an Nvidia RTX 3070, all pilots up to date.

Thanks a lot, just started Substance yesterday and already struggling ^^ 

TOPICS
Baking , UV Tiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

You should check the resolution of your scene, both in the Texture Set Settings, the document resolution in the 'new project' window when you import, and there is also a resolution option in when you bake AO etc in TSS window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

To do what you describe, drop the texture direct onto the surface (or into a fill layer). Add a black mask and then a paint effect onto that mask. Brushing with white on that paint effect will reveal the texture in the fill layer.2021-10-20_22-02-12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Thank you I know I will need this ! But actually I think I missed to express my idea. I was describing the Projection tool (I didn't know it existed, I just found out few minutes ago)

So this is it, problem solved. I was using the Paint tool badly and got bad results (I feel a bit dumb)
Everything works, textures look nice with Projection tools and Fill Layers. I will learn to use painting 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update : I just found out that if I drag and drop the texture on the mesh, (instead of painting) It's look nice ! So maybe it's just a brush issue or a little thing I'm doing bad. Ongoing investigations...

PS :
- It's a bark texture.
- The "robot" is called Mat (Or MeetMat but I guess we are meeting Mat so it's Mat)
- On the first picture, the good texture is on the left, the bad one on the right side (in case it's not clear)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should check the resolution of your scene, both in the Texture Set Settings, the document resolution in the 'new project' window when you import, and there is also a resolution option in when you bake AO etc in TSS window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I checked all the settings you talked about, everything is set to the maximum. I think it does'nt come from settings but from painting itself. When I paint multiple times on the same spot it seems like the texture is stacking and blurring so, like real paint. Texture also depends of the brush size, not the behaviour I want. I would like something more like in Photoshop when you erase a layer, letting appears the layer below which would be my texture and would not change according the brush size or if I paint multiple times the same spot. Anyway, I started a class on a website, it should give me answers. I will post it, if it can helps someone else ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do what you describe, drop the texture direct onto the surface (or into a fill layer). Add a black mask and then a paint effect onto that mask. Brushing with white on that paint effect will reveal the texture in the fill layer.2021-10-20_22-02-12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I know I will need this ! But actually I think I missed to express my idea. I was describing the Projection tool (I didn't know it existed, I just found out few minutes ago)

So this is it, problem solved. I was using the Paint tool badly and got bad results (I feel a bit dumb)
Everything works, textures look nice with Projection tools and Fill Layers. I will learn to use painting 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never export jpg from this soft. just do png and if you want jpg - transfer it in another soft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources