Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent Height Map Data baked into Normal Map

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I have for my PBR Textureset for each channel as Fill Layer and applied my textures to it.

GuidoNeumann_0-1709733597712.png

But alway when i export my maps after adjusting it in painter, my height map data ist added to my normal map.

i dont want that. I want to keep all texture channels seperated.

i changed the normal mixing mode to replace that it s still baked into my normal map:

GuidoNeumann_1-1709733717085.png

Where can i disable this?

thxs for helping

guido

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Guido,

Thanks for the question.

Substance 3D Painter, with most of its export presets, indeed merge the Height and the Normal channel. If you want to change this behavior, you can create your own export preset with only the channels needed.

Export maps.png

For the record, this behavior is due to the workflow in Painter. Working with Normal resources is usually way more complicated than using Grayscale (Height) resources. In addition, it's pretty common to add Displacement at the same place at the Normal map, so it makes sense to natively combine the Height and Normal.

Regards, 

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources