Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about texture inputs for generators

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm doing some work and I'm utlizing a file from another freelance artist and I can't figure out what is going on. Essentially, they have what look like material balls that have been placed into generators' texture slots (a lot of generators have the ability to add two of them). These things that look like material balls have names that correspond to things like black and white spots or concrete old (which have corresponding textures in the shelf). But if I replace their material thing for the same named procedural texture......I get a different effect in the resultant mask. Any ideas what this is and why it's occuring? Did procedural textures have materials in older versions of Painter? I can't share any work as it's for a client.

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can plug a material into the Image input of a generator but you then have to choose which channel you will use as that image.

In your case though, those sound like black and white procedural textures from the shelf and the difference you are seeing could just be that the parameter settings are different when you replaced them. When you replace them they will be inserted with their defaults but those can be changed by opening the parameters drop down under the image input (example below)

2021-08-13_23-29-53.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible but I attempted to recreate the effect that those "materials" had with the procedural textures (even altering their parameters without luck). Also in some cases, the materials had a different set of parameters than the textures, like histogram sliders that disappeared when I put in the procedual. It was odd and I'm not sure what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources