Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Generator Filter - Metal Edge Wear" Doesn't work correctly

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to Substance Painter and I'm watching this tutorial right now.

At minute 2, a "generator filter" is added to the mask and then a "metal edge wear" is added to the generator.

For me, the edges are not masked, but scratches appear on the object.

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-23 um 14.43.05.png

Am I doing something wrong?

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Hi @Mahmud3107343935mp,

I'm glad you found a solution.

To use these types of filters/generators, you indeed need to have your mesh maps baked. The Curvature can be baked from the Mesh or from the Normal map baked earlier. Those are two different techniques (from Mesh is more recent), but both should work as expected.

If the Curvature baked from Mesh didn't work for you, there were probably some parameters to adjust, but using the Deprecated method was also a solution.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there, were you able to solve the issue? i read online that we should bake curvature with the "generate from mesh method" i believe the curvature map needs this information from the mesh. if that info is not available, you will see the edge wear effect but it wont place them properly because it cant find it from the mesh data. Have you also put the projection to triplanar? either way all the best. Filters and Generators are confusing, especially when starting but are the core and heart of good texturing. keep at it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, so i fixed the issue. you have to change the Msh map settings for curvature to "Generate From Normal Map (Depreciated)" and rebake your map

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mahmud3107343935mp,

I'm glad you found a solution.

To use these types of filters/generators, you indeed need to have your mesh maps baked. The Curvature can be baked from the Mesh or from the Normal map baked earlier. Those are two different techniques (from Mesh is more recent), but both should work as expected.

If the Curvature baked from Mesh didn't work for you, there were probably some parameters to adjust, but using the Deprecated method was also a solution.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Cyrill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources