Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Sample Color Tool shortcut

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to do more hand painted texturing for an upcoming project and to properly blend colors by hand I am very reliant on the color picker to pick color from the base color channel.

I know I have the pick stroke material and the color picker sample tool while the pick stroke material works out of the box and is okay for the way I paint it is still slowish for picking up the color. I can't just paint strokes and in between the strokes quickly pick an underlying color to blend. The color picker sampel tool works definitely a lot quicker but my gripe with it is that I'll have to click on the base color color swatch to get the pop up with the color wheel etc. and leave it open for the "Color Picker sample tool" hotkey to work. If I close the pop up the hotkey does nothing. Which is pretty anoying since I like to work with almost all of the UI hidden via pressing tab.

I can press tab when the pop up is open but it'll close the pop up and disable the shortcut.

So my question is there any workaround to make the basic color picker (so I just pick the color with the eye dropper) available no matter what pop up/window is open?

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't know of a quicker way that the pick stroke material (P shortcut). I am puzzled that you say it works slowly as it is very quick here.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The color sample tool lets me immediately continue painting with a new picked up color. The pick stroke material has a slight delay. I basically have my stroke in one motion.
I basically do one pen movement from top to bottom with pen pressure controlling my stroke opacity. I then start again at the bottom and repeat to slowly build up color with a multiple of quick pen strokes. While in between those I quickly sample one spot where the color is someone of an inbetween and use that the blend my colors a bit more and again sample another spot to blend while continuously applying strokes.

This happens pretty quickly with the pick stroke material I'll continously have to wait a short amount of time before I can choose a spot to use the tool even though the eyedropper icon pops up immediately the tool just isn't active until shortly before the circle next to it pops up that shows me the color I am about to sample. On it's own it is pretty fast.
But the color sample tool is faster. I can sample in between my strokes without having to worry that I might have clicked to fast and then have to press the "pick stroke material" shortcut again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources